Chapter Five

*picture of Alexander (Xander for short, pronounced Zander)

ALEXANDER
______________

"Are you certain about this?"

I growled, loudly. Before I could think twice, I had pushed my challenger against a tree, hard.

"Anyone else want to question my decisions?" I bellowed to the crowd of men.

"Alpha," my beta said apologetically, picking himself off from the ground where he had landed.

The rusty iron taste on my tongue was enough to prove how dissatisfied my wolf and I had been with the disrespect coming from a member of the pack.

My canines sunk in to my bottom lip at the frustration. How dare my own beta question my decisions. Every decision that I made was for the pack. To protect them. It was all I knew.

Their protection was a vow running deep in my veins. It was the sole purpose of accepting the Alpha title five years ago, at the mere age of fifteen.

When the other male wolves in the pack were enjoying their youth and chasing she-wolves, I was training hard to become their Alpha. And I was not going to accept any disrespect at that.

"Dy, you are my best friend," I said loudly enough for the men around us to hear. I needed them all to know their place. "But you will never, and I mean ever, question my decision again."

The beta, as expected, bowed his head in respect.

Dyami was a good friend and quite the beta, but there were moments when he needed to be put back in his place. Leading the largest pack in the country made my pack appealing to outsiders. I could not have any members of the pack, let alone my own best friend and the beta, get distracted or question my decisions.

"Alpha, if I may add my input," Adam, my third in command, stepped forward from crowd.

My eyes narrowed at the curly haired wolf. "Make it quick."

The young Wolf nodded in response. "Though, we respect your decision and always support it, we are afraid for your safety."

The men that I had gathered for rounds, all murmured in agreement, some nodding their heads and others adding their input.

"Your safety is important to us, at least let Dyami and I go with you," Adam continued. "The pack needs their Alpha."

"Are you done?" I asked, not interested in his offer.

Adam's brows furrowed at my question, but he simply nodded and lowered his head.

"Meanwhile, I admire your desire to protect me as your Alpha," I told the crowd. "I need you all to protect the pack, your pack, more. Their safety is at stake here."

Today's schedule had been put in place after I had got off the phone to Gabriel, the Alpha of Pale Moon, my enemy.

Unlike Gabriel, I was not interested in personal affairs. After I had rejected his offer to attend a ceremony that he was hosting, he had threatened to send his men to take me by force. I was always astonished by his confidence. As if the safety of his members in my territory was guaranteed.

Our feud had started after he had taken the Alpha title. He had attacked and killed my people. The memory angered me.

"Xander," Dyami's voice in a low whisper echoed in my ears. "They're waiting for your order."

Rubbing at my temple, I turned to the crowd of men, all in complete silence, awaiting my next instructions.

"You are all dismissed."