Chapter Thirty

LYRA
________

If I had thought Gabriel attacking my friends was a bad sight, when more Wolves poured in to the underground, I cowered back on the floor. The weakness I felt in that moment made me feel disqualified to be a Luna.

Ava wrapped her arm around me, but I could feel the shock radiating through her too. I should be out there protecting my people, not be locked up in the cell for my own protection. It was unfair.

Gulping loudly, I watched in terror as Gabriel advanced towards Jaxon. It was a scene that saddened me. They were brothers. Family. And yet, here they were tearing at each other's throats.

Zynthéa and Matteo were fighting the other Wolves, but my eyes remained glued on Jaxon. I was concerned.

Gabriel viciously snarled at his little brother, and I realised he wasn't trying to hurt Jaxon. Jaxon on the other hand, ignored his brother's warning and charged towards him.

Except this time, Gabriel was not having it. The second that Jaxon tried to attack his brother, the older, with much force nudged his brother to the side. The younger boy landed hard against the wall with a loud thud.

"Jaxon!" I screamed, hoping he was okay.

I watched in horror as my best friend shifted back to his human form and laid there, lifeless. Tears trailed down my face and I tried to stand up, but Ava kept me glued to the ground.

"Your mate specifically ordered that I have you stay inside of this cell," she told me, but her voice broke off.

"I can't watch them die," I responded quickly, trying to push against Ava. "Let me go!"

Ava was strong, but I proved to be stronger when I finally managed to break free from her grip. As I readied myself to attack the bars, I came to a complete halt when my wolf growled loudly.

Alexander was here.

'Lyra, you alright?'

Our eyes connected, with his quickly scanning me up and down, before he realised what I was trying to do.

'I can't watch them die,' I explained in desperation, hoping he would understand.

'And I won't watch you get hurt. Stay there, please. I don't want to be distracted by concerns for you.'

Alexander didn't waste time, instead he sent me another message telling me to look away and with that, he completely shut me out.

I wanted to follow his order, but when Zynthéa's scream echoed throughout the entire underground, all of our heads snapped in the direction of her voice. It was another reason reminding me why I should have been out there in the first place, protecting her!

My eyes bulged out of their socket at the scene before me. Gabriel was holding Zynthéa by her waist with his teeth, in her naked human form.

Before I could even react, another Wolf charged at Gabriel. The Pale Moon Alpha in a similar manner that he had with Jaxon, tossed the girl to the side, causing her to land her on the floor.

I tried to mind-link Jaxon, but my thoughts bounced back. Zynthéa remained on the cold ground not too far from the boy, and all I could do was watch in pain and call for them. I fought the urge to break free, but I didn't want to distract Alexander. It was hard to watch from behind the bars.