Chapter 8

Samuel Bosworth

I don't know why I still put up with Brendan's shit, really. I wonder about this a lot.

I can't say that there hasn't been good times though. We've been through a lot, sharing memories that I'd probably remember for the rest of my life.

He's turned into this wreck somehow. It did happen over time, though. I noticed it when we started High School. He turned into this cool kid who parties and hangs out with jocks. He let other people influence him, corrupt his innocence. The vices started, the partying, the girls.

And that's when the five year old Brendan I know started to slip away from my memory. I would've never thought that he would end up like this. Drunk and stoned at some random chick's apartment. His mother would be so disappointed.

Seventeen year old Brendan is this alternate version of who he once was. He'd only be there when he needs something, or when he has nowhere else to be. He is now this arrogant, wild, narcissist that plays with girls. Five year old Brendan would never be like that.

High School changes people. It changes them into the people they said they would never become.

And yet I think about this while on the way to save his ass. He owes me so much. So so much.

I start the engine and back out of the parking lot. I dial Brendan's number and he picks up after three rings.

"Yo bro," he says in a slurred, drunken manner.

"Where the fuck are you, Lucas?!" He hates being called by his second name.

"None of your beeeeeeeezwax, Carter. Jesus." Totally immature.

The fact that he's acting like a child about this keeps the flames of my anger alive. He just doesn't know whats right and whats wrong anymore.

"You were the one who asked me to pick you up, dumbfuck."

"Take a chill pill, bruv. Stop acting like my mother. Oooopsss."

He is either too high to think or too drunk to function. He wouldn't say that if he's in his right mind. He would never say that.

"Stop acting like a douchebag, Brendan. Where. The. Hell. Are. You." I'm gonna lose it anytime soon.

"Tianna's humble abode. Find it yourself." I can tell that his patience is wearing out too. He has no right to be pissed right now. Nope.

"Who the fuck is Tianna?! Just answer the question like a normal person for once!"

"Unit 3A Tuscany Apartments. Don't bother knocking."

And I hung up the phone.

Brendan's like that. He would just take and take until there's nothing left to give. He'd abuse your kindness and take you for granted.

I wonder when there'd be nothing left for me to give.

I drive around the town, windows down, taking in the fresh air and the scent of spring. I almost forget about all the bullshit for a while.

But once I reached Tuscany Apartments, I remembered. It slapped me in the face like a little bitch.

I climbed up to the third floor and immediately spotted 3A. Let the games begin.

"Don't bother knocking."

So I didn't.

The first thing I see when I open the door was a lot of trash. Empty beer bottles, chinese take-out, chips, vodka bottles, tissue, pizza boxes. Well this doesn't look like a girl's apartment at all.

And then I see clothes all over the floor, next to cigarette butts and cans. I just hope that they used protection. A breed like their's shouldn't multiply.

"Mate," Brendan called. I looked to the left, and there he was. He was lying down on the bed, and lying on top of him was who I assume to be Tianna. Both of them look high out of their minds. Tianna grins at me, and I return it with a nod.

"This, this is Tianna," Brendan says with a giggle. The sound of him giggling- no, just breathing- makes me want to punch him in the face.

"Figured," I say with a cold tone.

I was just standing there, awkwardly waiting for Brendan to stand up and get his shit together, but he doesn't do anything. He's still lying down, grinning like an idiot while he strokes Tianna's back. I clear my throat.

"So, Sam, do you want anything? Some booze? Weed, maybe?" Tianna asks. I can't help but scowl.

"Listen, Brendan, can you just get your shit and go?"

"I take that as a no then," Tianna says and laughs. "You really need to chill, Sam."

"First of, we aren't friends. Don't call me Sam and don't tell me to chill. Second, don't you have school to get to? or some shit job?" I can't control the annoyance and anger in my voice.

"Jesus, Sam, are you on your period or something? Tianna, I'm gonna have to go now. Betty buzzkill here's gonna kill me already," and then he cups Tianna's face into his hands and they start making out. Too early for this. I walk out of the apartment and down the stairs. I take a deep breath before going in my car. I can't handle this anymore.

It took Brendan exactly 14 minutes to go down and enter my car. He should've taken 20 minutes so I had a reason to leave him behind. As soon as he shut his door, I start driving.

"Thanks," is all he says. How sincere of him.

"Really? That's all your stoned mind can muster up right now? Thanks? I went out of my way to pick up your drunk ass from your girlfriend's apartment."

"Uh, thanks a lot then?" and he laughs. I don't bother answering him.

I can't help but think that Cala was right. He is a waste.

"So how was your morning, man? Mine was really good. Last night, as well. I stumbled upon this bar and met Tianna. We did so-"

"I don't really care." I cut him off. "My morning was great, until you called." I looked at him with a sarcastic smile.

"So where were you when I called?" He ignored my sarcasm and my annoyance.

"Lavierne"

"With who?" and then I remembered what Cala told me about Brendan. Now is the proper time to bring it up.

"Cala Ames," I simply stated.

"Cala? What are you doing hanging out with Cala?!" He seemed really shocked.

"What's it to you anyway? You obviously didn't like her enough to stop you from cheating."

"So she told you, huh?"

"She didn't tell me cause she was telling on you. She told me because she thought I deserved to know the truth." I didn't even realize that we were infront of his house already.

"It's not even a big deal anyway, so whatever. It wouldn't change anything if I told you." He opens his door and steps out of the car.

"It does change something." I tell him before he slams the door.

I drive away, heading for school.

The day just began, but I can't wait for it to end.

{Authors Note: Hi guys! I hope this chapter showed you what kind of "best friend" relationship Brendan and Samuel have. Brace yourselves for the next chapters! Comment, vote, and help me get my story out! ily}