Chapter 1

Cala Ames

Another messed up morning at the Ames household. Woke up to the sounds of screaming and crying. I could tell that today would be such a great day.

Sometimes I think of what it would be like to wake up to good noise. The sound of a mother calling her children to eat breakfast, the sound of a father telling everyone to hurry and get dressed, the sound of birds chirping in the trees with rainbows and butterflies in the background.

But that kind of stuff does not happen in real life, most especially in mine. Well not anymore.

I silenced the noise by putting on my favorite record on vinyl. By singing and dancing along, I almost forget the horrors that are happening downstairs. The things I would do to permanently forget those horrible experiences. The things I would do to get a do-over at life.

I dismiss the drama and just focus on what I'd wear today. Sweater, jeans, sneakers, beanie. What's new?

I strip off my pajamas and lock myself in my bathroom, the only place in this house I consider my safe haven. No one can touch me in here. No one can hurt me but myself.

As I rinse the shampoo off, I hear my phone ringing in the room. Who else could that be? Scarlett, of course. I rush to the room, barely covering my body with my towel, dripping water all over the carpeted floors.

I got caught off-guard once I saw who it was. It definitely didn't confirm my suspicion.

Brendan.

Well today surely is gonna be a jolly good day! The odds are definitely in my favor!

{Authors Note: really short chapter, I'm sorry!}