Chapter 3

Cala Ames

"Hey, Cals?"

"Uh, yeah, who is this?" Yeah, I played that card.

"Geez really- Br- Brendan." The way he stuttered made me giggle, but I had to hold it back. He seemed mad, with a hint of nervous. It was absolutely hilarious.

"Oh, what do you want?" I demandingly asked.

"So, it's the start of spring break today.." My jaw opened when he said that. I totally forgot. Shit. "Have you got any plans?" Yes, and I totally forgot about them. Scar is gonna kill me onsite.

"What's it to you?"

"I just wanna catch up, Cals. It's been long, really. Anyway, I'm just gonna cut to the point-" I sighed really loud for a dramatic effect. "Are you going to the kickstarter party later?"

"I don't know, I don't really care. I've gotta go alright?" And I hung up. One point for me.

First of, I've gotta prepare myself for the kickstarter. I promised Scarlett I would go weeks ago. Knowing her, she'd give me the cold shoulder the whole break if I wouldn't go.

Second of, fucking Brendan. Who gave him the permission to reenter my life like not a damn thing happened to us? We're over, we're closed, we're nothing now. No need to catch up and get all friendly now.

I disregard my outfit from a while ago. Time to think party rather than regular school day. Time to think spring break, freedom, fun.

And maybe happiness.

Who knows what this spring break would bring?

I'm sure as hell that I won't be spending it locked in my room. I'd do whatever it takes to be far from this house.

I hurry down with all the stuff I need to survive today. I make it a priority that I don't run into anyone at home on my way out. No more time for anymore drama. It's just 7 am and yet a lot of things have happened already.

But of course, everything just seems to go against my way. My mum spots me leaving the house and she calls me.

"Cala dear?"

"Yeah?"

"We've got important matters at dinner time today. Make sure you get home early after school today, dear." Well shit.

"Well you could've told me that earlier now could you? I can't make it. I've got somewhere to go." A hint- no a spoonful of annoyance present in my voice.

"And this somewhere is more important than a family matter?"

"Oh, what family? I don't see any here." I knew it wouldn't make any effect on her, but I had to say it.

"Functional or not, family is family. Blood is thicker than water." The way she said it in this all-knowing voice made me cringe.

"You were the one who told me to stay true to my commitments. I made a verbal commitment to Scarlett that I would be with her today. And for you, commitment is bigger than family, isn't it mum?"

And I left her speechless. A little smirk grew on my face when she had nothing more to say. I turned my back and proceeded to head for the door.

"At least we're still staying, Cala Renee." Is the last thing I heard before I closed the door behind me.

Fuck school, I'm heading to the park.