Chapter 16

*Eun Sang's POV*
I sniffled, using a handkerchief to dry any stray tear as I looked over the night view from the rooftop.

The cold wind bit at the skin of my cheeks, I rubbed my hands over my arms, warming them slightly.

Kim Tan was leaning against the railing while lighting a cigarette.

I frowned while nodding before asking, "When did you start smoking?" He looked at me for a moment before turning back to see the lights coming from the buildings.

"Recently when I was in US," He paused, inhaling through the white stick, "It helps me relax," He says, letting out a puff of smoke which caused me to cough.

I fanned a hand in front of my face, "It's bad for you, throw it away please," I took a few steps away from him.

He let out another puff before getting rid of the cigarette, "Mianhe,"

We stood there surrounded by the quiet breeze and sound of cars passing by, I didn't know where I wanted to start. Where has he been? Why did he leave so suddenly, even if it was for business- Who was that girl? How long has he been doing that with that girl- A shaky sigh left my lips.

"When did you come back? I thought you wouldn't be able to make it to the wedding, especially since I didn't see you at the ceremony earlier today?" I began. Despite the feeling of not wanting to confront him yet, a sense of relief came over me to see Kim Tan in front of me.

He faced me, the smell of cigarettes still fresh on him. "Just this morning, I went home to get a change of clothes, I wanted to be here earlier but I had to finish something at the company first," He explained calmly. His expression was blank which made it hard for me to read.

I nodded, thousands of other questions running through my head. An uncomfortable feeling started swirling at the bottom of my stomach when he said this, "Eomma called me as soon as she caught news that I've came back,"

Did she tell him? I shook my head mentally, Eun Sang, it's normal for him to know, why are you trying to hide this? He should know this, he has the right to know it!

A huge smile broke on his face, "Why didn't you tell me?"

My lips opened and closed, not knowing where to start explaining, "I-"

"You should've told me that your Father came back, I could've returned earlier,"

I stared at him blankly, "What?"

Father? Eomma said he was dead. As good as dead.

"What are you saying?"

He looked at me with a stop-kidding expression on his face, "Your Father, Cha Sung Ho,"

------

*Park Hee Nam's/Eun Sang's Mother's POV*

I stared at the torn and tattered thing in my hands, a black and white photograph from over 30, 40 years ago. A woman in a bridal dress next to a man in a suit. Sincere smiles that were painted on their faces and was captured into this image forever.

Years passed, everything changed. We had two daughters, but that man left before Eun Sang could even memorized her own father's face. If he didn't leave us, mother and children, alone without any money to spare, maybe we would have had a much easier time living in that small rented place.