Day six: ENVY

The room was dark and I couldn't see a thing. There was one small candle on the ground right beside the head. I could only see the damage that I had done to them.

I sat on the ground and waited for the sun. Every minute I sat there waiting was a minute more the body began to reek. After a couple of hours the sun began to shine. Light started to go through the windows and I saw who it was.

His letterman jacket was pooling with blood, his jeans were punctured with holes made by his bones. Quickly I scampered around the house, looking for Scarlett. Calling out her name as loud as I could, but she wasn't answering.

"Scarlett, please answer me!" I yelled while running up the stairs. Going into the first bedroom I saw her. She was hiding behind the bed, trying to make herself invisible.
"What are you doing?"
"Me? What did you do? You beat Matthew like a nail, with you the hammer!"
"I don't remember what happened. I won't remember unless you tell me what happened." I tried to say this as calmly as possible. She looked as if she was actually afraid of me.

"At first it was like you had dosed off, like in a trance. At first I tried to snap you out but it didn't work. Then I started to shake you. That's when you grabbed my hair and started to yank me on the ground. I tried to claw at your hands but you wouldn't let go!" I looked at my hands to see claw marks. "You dragged me into the living room and threw me down. That when I saw the trophies, they were all of Matthew's. You grabbed one of them and started to swing it at me. As much as I asked you to stop you wouldn't. I tried to defend myself but only to end up with what feels like a fractured wrist." She took a breath, I knew she was preparing for something.

"You ran upstairs and disappeared fo a moment. Then I heard him screaming. I don't know what you did to him, but he got up and started to walk. I walked over to the steps to see what you would do. When he got to the top of the stairs you..." she stopped and looked at me

"What did I do?" There was a anger in my voice that she saw.

"You placed your foot on his back and kicked him down. When he fell down the stairs he was hurt really bad, like his wrist bone was sticking out!" She covered her mouth trying not to get upset.

"I tried to tell you to stop but you wouldn't listen. You pulled him over to the trophies and started to hit him. As strong as he is, he couldn't defend himself. Because no matter where you hit him, you did it with full force. Once I heard his bones cracking I ran out of there ASAP." "It wasn't until I later came down, I saw what you did. All you were doing was just standing there, waiting for him to like come back."

I looked at her and couldn't believe this. But how could I not? All of the evidence was there and Scarlett showed it to me.

"There is something I need to tell you."
"What?"
"I'm it." She looked at me with confusion.
"I'm the witness." I kept my voice down low, as if other people were hearing. In one hand motion she slapped me as hard as she could. I held my jaw and looked at her in disbelief.

"You are a wannabe aren't you, just wanting to be everything! Trying to know everything when you don't!" She yelled at me, I only stood there and listened.

"Do you really think I am envy, what he he'll am I jealous of?"
"I thought I was, I knew which ones they were."
"Really then why was Daniel sloth? Or Oliver wrath? Or Jack greed?" She was yelling at me taunting me with these questions. But I couldn't answer, because I was drawing a blank. She was right, how come they were those things?

"You don't know do you, well let me tell you. Oliver was the gossip queen at school, he knew everything about everyone. But when he got mad, there went someone's secrets on a giant mass text. Daniel was in charge of getting his mother her cancer medicine, but he didn't feel like doing it and thought she could. Of course you know how that ended." I looked at her and started to get upset about thinking of how sweet and sorry I was for him. He was the reason his mom died, she never stood a chance without her medicine. But Scarlett kept going on with her descriptions.

"Jennifer was a glutton because of what she did when she thought no one was watching. She could stuff down a whole bag of chips in a minute only to throw it up again. Matthew had to many trophies to count. All of these trophies made his little rape session with girls go away completely!" Then she looked at me dead in the eye and began to speak my worst fear.

"Last but not least, Chloe. You try to be everything and everyone at the same time. Lust with Jack and Daniel, greed with your life, wrath at Daniel, and so far the witness. Me!" As much as I didn't want to admit it I knew it was true. She was the witness and I could kill her right here. But I would be seeking down to what he wants me to do.

"Fine, but how do we get out of here?"
"So we were on a bus and it crashed."
"Our souls were sent to here"
"Where is here exactly?" She had a good point, where were we exactly?

"If I had to guess, I think we would be in a judgement room."
"That means we're dead!" She looked at me with wild and crazy eyes.
"But it could mean we are in the brink of death." She like at me in confusion.

"If we leave this place we either go to heaven or get a second chance."
"Let's go downstairs and see if it's right." As we began to run out the door I felt something in my back pocket. I pulled out a scalpel and a note. I read it silently so she wouldn't hear me.

"The owl sees all, that is how she is the witness. She must be punished for her crimes, but not killed."

I stuffed them both in my back pocket and ran downstairs. When I got down there I picked up part of a broken trophy.

"What do we say..." she was able to finish her sentence. I had knocked her out cold. Taking the scalpel out on my pocket I lifted her eyelids open. Placing the knife on her eye I sliced it open. I started to bleed and cloud her eye. I went to the other one and did the same thing.

"Click" something went off at the door. I didn't see a bit drop in so it had to be something else. I turned the doorknob and it turned. A week of stress and fear went away. I began to feel hope and happiness again. Grabbing her by the shoulders I sling the door open to walk out. I was stopped right before I went outside. There was a bright light and I couldn't see a thing. But I knew anything was better then this. I slowly walked out and I began to fall asleep. But this was to the smell of roses and honeysuckle.

I eyes flashed open and I began to look around. There I saw it, there was a tree, a live tree. There was a road underneath me, and cars were all around. I was on a gurney being strolled by other people! I felt so happy and free.

"It's okay miss, we have you." One of them said. I only smiled and stared at them. That's when I heard someone whisper it.

"There is another girl on the bus. She is wearing a cheerleader outfit. She has severe injuries to her orbital sockets. She might never see again, but they'll be lucky if they pull her out of that coma. Something hit her hard in the back of her head."

I felt a tear go down my eye, because I knew that even if she lived her blood would always be on my hands. If she dies in the coma or will never see, her blood was on my hands.

I recovered after a couple of months, with only a couple battle scars. But Scarlett was still in the coma and her life support was considered being plugged. As much as I tried I always told her parents not to do it. Everyday I would read to her what we were reading in class. Today we were assigned the book No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre. As I read the plot for the first time I became light headed because of a quote. "Hell is other people."

The Witness जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें