Chapter 21 - I Can't Do This

Tori's POV ★ 

LUKAS' BLOOD SPLATTERS ONTO THE FLOOR. 

He tries to hide his cheek behind his sweatshirt hood, but it's hard to miss the blood.

"What the hell happened to your face?" I ask, walking towards him.

"It's nothing," Lukas says, sounding distant.

I stop walking towards him and bite my lip. After a few seconds of silence, I take a deep breath. "You okay?"

Lukas nods. "Yeah."

He walks around me carefully so he won't touch my skin with his. He walks into the kitchen, taking a cup out of a cabinet. He opens the fridge and pours a cup of water. He takes a sip, his eyes resting on mine. He places the now empty glass on the kitchen counter.

"You okay?" I ask, breaking the silence.

"Yeah. I haven't changed since the first time you asked me." Lukas snaps.

"Okay! Geez."

Lukas takes a deep breath, then exhales slowly. "Sorry." He says. He places the glass in the sink and heads to his room, closing his bedroom door behind him. I hear the click of the door. He locked it.

I walk to the guest room. I close my door too and lay my back against it. I take out my phone and run my fingers along the smooth black screen.

I hear something crash in Lukas' room, making me jump. I get up and open my door. I lay my back against Lukas' bedroom door.

Lukas must have heard me bang my head against the wood surface of the door, because the crashing stops. I hear him sniffle and feel the door vibrate behind me. Lukas is sitting against it now too.

I hear him take a breath, then I hear his breath as it escapes through his teeth. He lays his head against the door and sniffles. I then realize he's crying.

"Hey, Lukas, what's wrong?"

"Nothing." He snaps again.

"It's obviously not nothing. You're crying."

"No. I'm not." He snaps again. His voice vibrates through the wood of his bedroom door.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes. I'm fine. Jesus."

"Fine. Bye, Lukas." I say, getting up.

"Wait, no," Lukas says and I hear the door unlock and open. 

I turn around slowly to see that Lukas is standing there.

His head is turned away from me, his sweatshirt hood covering his head. "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Shutting you out. It's just, I- I can't do this."

"Do what?"

"This. Us." Lukas says, gesturing towards the air between us.

"I wasn't even aware we were an us," I admit.