Chapter 16 - Two Ghosts

Lukas' POV ✫

I WAKE TO THE SMELL OF COFFEE. 

I haven't ever tried coffee and I don't plan to. I hop off my bed, goosebumps forming on my skin. I slide on a pair of black jeans and don't bother putting on a shirt.

I walk down the hall towards the kitchen breathing in the warm scent as my mouth waters. I walk in to see Tori, still wearing my shirt. My skin warms and my stomach flutters seeing her in my clothes. She hums to herself as she pours a mug of coffee.

She turns around and her eyes widen when she sees me. Her eyes glance at my chest for a split second before she looks up into my eyes.

"Hey," I say, my voice still raspy with sleep.

"Hi." She says, taking out a plate like she's lived here her whole life.

"I guess you're a morning person." I hear myself say.

"Yeah. I'm kind of used to making breakfast for two. I mean, for my mom and I." She says, pouring another mug of coffee. I take it, having no intention of drinking it. I let the warmth of the mug warm my cold hands and breathe in the scent of eggs and bacon. I can't help thinking that I want to live like this for the rest of my life.

"Do you want one or two eggs?" Tori asks, interrupting my thoughts.

"One," I answer and sit at the island.

Tori cracks an egg with one hand into the seating pan and puts the rest of the eggs back in the fridge.

"What time is it?" I ask, biting my lip to stifle a yawn.

"12:00." She says. Damn, I have a lot of sleep to catch up on.

"Sleepy?" She asks, a smile playing on her face.

"Yeah," I reply making Tori giggle like a little girl before she turns her attention back to her cooking.

When she finishes my egg and toast, she places the plate in front of me and I eat it gratefully. A moan almost escapes my lips as I take a bite of pure deliciousness. I sigh to block the moan.

"Is it good? I didn't know how you liked your eggs." She questions, self consciously.

"They're good." I lie. 

They're not just good, they're excellent.

"Thank goodness." She says sounding relieved, then her eyes moving to the coffee that I have not sipped yet.

"Don't you want your coffee?" She asks.

Just because I'm scared to humiliate her, I take a sip. The coffee has cooled a little, but it's still warm enough to drink. I hate cold drinks that are supposed to be hot. I guess it's a pet peeve of mine.

The coffee tastes better than any drink I've ever tasted. Instead of it tasting plain, she's thrown in a touch of mint and peppermint. This time, I can't hide the moan.

Tori laughs. "You like mint?"

"Yeah. And peppermint. How did you know?"

Tori visibly freezes. Then she smiles sweetly and says. "Mint is your signature scent. It's all over your clothes and I guess I figured you would want mint coffee with a hint of peppermint." She explains, sounding shy.