Chapter 14 - I'll Look After You

Tori's POV ★ 

I WALK OUT INTO THE RAIN. 

My vision blurs from the rain and I shiver in the cold. I ignore the presence of the boy behind me.

"She didn't know?" Camren asks.

"No, Cam, she didn't." I say bitterly.

Cam was my childhood best friend. My mom always invites him over because she thinks that we will some day end up together. I know, dumb right?

"Why didn't you tell her? She's your mom!" Cam says, sounding frustrated. He sighs into the rain and runs his hand through his hair.

"I don't tell my mom everything because it's my life. She doesn't need to know all my secrets and dreams." I say, turning around.

Cam steps closer and takes a deep breath, his warm breath heating my cheeks. "She deserves to know."

"No. She doesn't."

"Yes. She does. You may not see it, but you need your mom and she needs you. If you don't let her help you or understand you... then that's your problem." Cam takes another breath and lets it out.

"I have to go."

"Have to go beat Ray? Trust me, you're better off talking to me. On the plus side, no black eyes involved."

"That was one time!"

"Yeah, one too many." Cam wipes the rain from his forehead and cracks his knuckles.

"I have to go." I say and leave.

I go to the gym, but don't see Ray. I start to wonder if he actually will show up. I tie my Nikes and put on my wraps.

I punch a punching bag and I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and stare into the blue eyes of Ray. Of course, that's the only thing I can see. The mask covers the bottom half of his face and he smells of men's cologne and mint.

"Hey, Ray." I say, my voice sounding stronger than I feel.

"Tori." Ray says, nodding his head.

"Do you want something?" I ask.

"No. I was just wondering who the horrible puncher was."

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me."

"And you're any better?"

"Uh, yeah. I beat you. Twice, remember?"

"Wanna fight again?"

"Sure."

~~~~

Ray roundhouse kicks me in the ankle and I fall to the ground. When I look into his blue eyes all I can see is anger. He seems too angry. Angrier than he should be. I limp up to him and he smiles when he notices the limp.

"You okay? Did I hurt you?" He says, faking a concerned tone.

"Yeah. Fine." I lie.