My Story Will Give Nightmares

It's been two weeks, the fever left people dying. My younger sister Hannah recently had unplugged the tv, we've heard about a girl who's been brutally stabbed to death by a serial killer than was on the run for years, he shot officer Marcus right in front of his damn kid.

I think everyone right now are imbeciles and idiots.

But if I had the chance to be stupid, at least I wouldn't be the man I am today. I'm not one of those boys who walk around in hoodies hiding scars nor am I that nerd or loner. I'm that guy who people were afraid of, if they knew me, they'll have nightmares.

I don't give a damn about anyone else but Hannah.

"Dakota?" I hear Hannah call. "Dakota!" She says a little louder, she waves her hand in my face.

Hannah is only two years younger than me, she had peachy skin with black hair braided to the side around her heart shaped face, since the power just cut off yesterday she couldn't use her blowdryer her hair is dryer than usual, her left wrist had the scar from that one night with our Dad....

"What?" I ask, my voice hollow and rough.

"Mom was calling you silly." She said with a lighthearted giggle I wished I had, I envy her so much but I also love her like a man loves his beer and television. Our mother....who hates me like any normal woman would, I always call her by her name Daphne, because we both know damn well she has never been a mother to me.

"Okay, be right back." I said, putting out my cigarette in the ashtray knowing deep down I wanted to bring that cigarette inside the kitchen just to piss Daphne off.

I walk into the kitchen, our house was a trailer, small, and I won't lie, I'd always find the chance to get the hell out of here whenever Hannah is at a friend's house. Daphne had her back facing me, Hannah walks in here, grabbing a apple from the bowl.

Daphne smiles like I didn't know what she did last night when our douchebag of our stepfather has been missing for three straight days, although I know deep down that her smile is fake, we both seem to wear masks, we pretend to love each other for Hannah's sake.

"What do you want?" I ask, crossing my arms and glaring at her. Soon as Hannah closes the door we just let our true selves out.

Daphne's smile fades, she glares back at me.

"Stay away from Hannah." Daphne said, moving her bleached hair behind her ear, her cold blue eyes were like mine.

"I told you I'm not doing that anymore." I snap, she shrugs, since our douche of a stepdad said that she was fat, she went back to starving herself again, now she's so skinny that she looks like a porcelain china doll.

"I don't care, I don't want you near her." Daphne said heartlessly. I'm not going to lie, hearing my own mother say that just killed me.

We moved here last year because of what I tried to do.....Daphne had always looked at me differently than Hannah, she hated me but she adored Hannah to pieces.

I could ruin everything right now by telling Hannah what Daphne did, she would be crushed.....but I couldn't do that to Hannah....ever.

"Listen Daphne, we both know that you hate me but we have to be there for Hannah." I said, keeping my voice low.

"She doesn't need you." Daphne snaps, her voice going sour.

I try to make myself somewhat worthy by applying for a job at the restaurant to take out garbage, picking up Hannah and taking her to fun places while Daphne was busy doing whatever the hell she wanted in her room. Besides going to bars to forget my problems whenever Hannah stayed at her friends house every Friday.

"But if I left, you wouldn't be able to live here." I said matter-of-factly, Daphne half laughs.

"We have another man working in the house, so we'll be fine without you." Daphne said with a twisted smile I inherited myself.

"Not even his wages can support this house, the cigarettes we need, the medicine for you..." I said, towering over her.

"So kick me out, let's see how long you keep this place, let's see if Hannah finds out that you're a shitty mother, let her see behind that mask you've been wearing your whole life, go on, kick me out....let's see how far you can make it on, I'm just stating the facts, I don't give a damn what you do, I love Hannah and she's the only one I care about in this sugarcoated world that only covered the dark truth." I growl. Daphne gives me a terrified look.

"Do it. I dare you. Let me see you fail." I said coldly. Daphne didn't budge.

"You don't even have the balls, that's how I know you're never kicking me out. Let's be clear on this: if I leave, I'm taking her with me because she deserves better." I said, Daphne laughs.

"I'm tired of you coming home pissed off, this was the third bar you've been banned from!" Daphne said, looking me in the eye. She always turns the tide on me, always.

I was banned from a local bar. I was only going to get some whiskey to avoid thinking my problems until a fucking douche decided to punch me in the face. I beat the living hell out of him until I was dragged out by security. I was yelling, kicking over tables and meals.

I won't lie, that one was my fault.

But I've tried, I've tried and tried but as long as I live, I know what my true enemy is.

"It's not like I was trying to." I hissed.

"Besides, don't try to act like my mother now, you weren't when Dad was around and you still aren't now." I add, Daphne glares at me, there came a long silence after that. Daphne closes her eyes.

"You're going to make me say it...." Daphne said, but whatever she was going to say, I don't care.

"You were damaged the day you were conceived, you were born like this....a monster and that's why I hate you." Daphne said, that felt like a stab in the back, there were moments when I was a kid Daphne hugged me, sung to me and said I was so precious to her, now we're making Hannah happy by showing fake smiles towards each other even though we both know that Daphne, my own mother hated me for what I am.

"Guess what? I got it from you." I shot back, Daphne turns around, she sounds like she's crying. I roll my eyes. Daphne always had a talent for acting....I'm not stupid.

"Stop Daphne, you always make everything about you." I said, gripping the edge of the counter.

"You never got that from me, it was always Kurt....always." Daphne said firmly.

Dad had left us when I was sixteen years old and Hannah was fourteen, she cried so much when he did.....but that's a story for another day.

"Fine, but you're no better than him Daphne and you know it." I snap, Daphne gives me a puzzled look, I just look down at her.

"You were high out of your mind, and dancing on the bed in your old wedding dress." I said with a grimace, Daphne grew pale.

"Touché." Daphne said, crossing her arms. Hannah opens the door, Daphne's lifts her lips into a fake smile.

"Miss Jenkins is ouside!!!" Hannah yells, Daphne gives me a terrified look.....

"Hannah stay inside." I said firmly.

"But-" She opens her mouth to protest.

"It's for the best sweetie." Daphne said, clutching Hannah close to her chest.

I peer through the window to see Miss Jenkins, she wore a long white dress, her mouth was covered in blood, her pants were covered in dirt, she turns her head to me then starts to walk towards the door, I slam the door, causing the hinges to squeak a little.

"Daphne we gotta go!" I yell, walking into the kitchen.

"What's going on?" Daphne asks, giving me a puzzled look.

This isn't right, Miss Jenkins was dead.