Chapter 30 - Avalyn

Start from the beginning

“Mom, my water broke!” I said, gasping.

“Your what? Oh God, okay, okay. Just get the bag and get in the car with Jake. Drive over here. Now!” She commanded.

“Okay, okay. Ow!” I said, holding my stomach and trying to calm the pain that had suddenly appeared.

“It’s okay, Ev. Just get over here fast.” She said, calm and assuring. I hung up the phone as soon as Jake appeared with the bag at my side.

“Let’s go, babe. Come on.” Jake said, smiling at me through worried eyes. He held my arm in support and guided me to the door, carefully helping me out of the house and into his car.

“Shit!” I yelped, as Jake buckled my seatbelt. He looked at me with worry and I shook my head. He was in the car a second after. We pulled out of the driveway and he stepped on it, literally, he stepped on it, making the car surge forward with the excess speed.

“Slow down! Ow!” I cried, worried he’d run over an old lady or something. 

“Are you fucking crazy? We’re getting there. Now.” He said and drove like a maniac. I clutched my stomach, holding in the pain.

“You’ll run over an old lady, Jake!” I cried, trying to be reasonable even if it felt as if I’d burst with the horrible pain in my pelvic bone. Sweat moistened my forehead.

“I don’t give a damn! We’re having a baby and we’re having her now because I can’t stand to see you like this.” He said with troubled eyes and my eyes rested on his clenched white knuckles as they strangled the steering wheel. I wanted so badly to hold his hand but I couldn’t. Not now when he was driving at what felt like eight freaking miles per hour.

“We should both calm down. It’ll be fine. Millions of women give birth every day, right? Ow!” I say but the yelping didn’t help. 

“Yeah. That definitely helps.” He said sarcastically. Jake was the one to hold my hand and rest it on the cupboard between us. I breathed out a sigh of relief at the comforting contact of his big warm hands.

We were there in about ten minutes and Jacob nearly flew us through the parking lot to the entrance of the hospital. 

“We need a wheelchair!” He called out and someone came toward us with a wheel chair that I happily plopped myself down on with the help of my boyfriend. I held Jake’s hand in a death grip. “Shit, hurry up!” I cried. 

“Evelyn? Oh God, good, you’re here. This way.” Said a woman I recognized as my mother’s co-worker from the times I had visited. My mom must have told her to be on the lookout for me and take me to where I belonged. 

Someone suddenly started to roll me down white halls. It wasn’t Jacob or Betsy, my mom’s co-worker. It was someone else but I didn’t give a damn who. Not when I was going to burst from this pain!

“Ow! Jake, this hurts like a bitch! Be glad you’re a guy.” I said, my voice rapid through the breaths I took to calm myself. He squeezed my hand as he strolled alongside me and looked at me apologetically.

“I’m so sorry, angel. It’ll be over soon.” He smiled softly and I tried doing the same. His words had soothed me instantly.

Then we were brought to a nice and spacious private room, courtesy of my mom. I was placed on the bed, Jacob by my side, when my mom burst into the room with her uniform on. She looked relieved to see me here.

“Evelyn! Jacob! Thank God!” She exclaimed and came over to us, kissing my forehead and hugging Jake. 

“Alright. Let’s get to this. Hook up the IVs and get time her contractions.” My mom started, commanding people to do things but I couldn’t bring myself to think about what she said.