Chapter 10 - Making the Team

ابدأ من البداية

Elizabeth eyed the ball carefully, the white sphere came close to her side of the net, "Got it!" she pushed off the floor and met her wrist to the ball, the force of it had it crashing down over the net with such velocity it flew past all the girls on the opposing teams.

"Woahhh!!' her teammates cheered in amazement, the other opponents merely snickered before fetching the ball again and continuing. Each time the ball came close to Elizabeth she managed to reach , hit and strike. Their team quickly got the attention of the others and the professor who approached their net and watched Elizabeth closely.

"I'll get it!" proclaimed a girl on the opposing team, she jumped up by the net and slammed the ball over  hoping that Elizabeth would be out of reach, but Elizabeth ran across with outstretched arms.

I won't make it....she thought and instead decided to dive forward to prevent the ball from hitting the floor.

YES!

Her fist met the sphere and it tumbled towards another teammate who caught the ball quickly and made the winning score.

The professor whistled to signal the end of the game before she broke into applause, the rest of the class followed suit.

"Thanks," Elizabeth said to a girl who helped her up on her feet, she was out of breath and sweaty with a big smile on her face.

"Well well well...didn't know you had such a knack for volleyball Miss Satti," The professor bobbed her head in approval still clapping.

"Oh I wouldn't say that-" Elizabeth took the top of her crew-neck shirt, lifting it forward and back attempting to cool off.

"When you're done changing stop by office," she insisted and dismissed the class to their showers.

2:29PM

"Did you finally get laid at your party?" asked Alex nonchalantly as he leaned against the lockers next to Zach, bored and slightly high still from smoking a joint outside the school courtyards for lunch. He loosened his tie, resting his head against the metal lockers.

"Why are you so curious ? " Zach emptied his back pack and refilled them with his books for that night's homework. "And no I didn't"

Alex shrugged and looked up at the ceiling, "I dunno, guess just curious about what you see in her. I mean you're too....different."

Zach closed his locker shut and leaned to his side, "Yea, that's why I like her. She's not like anyone else at this school."

Alex raised his eyebrows, "Oh yeah? Like how? she looks and acts the same like any other freshman."

Zach smiled, of course he wouldn't notice it. Even though he could try an explain why Elizabeth was so special to him, Zach knew it would be a waste. He rolled his eyes at his noticeably high friend before patting Alex on the shoulder.

"Go home, you look like hell." he chuckled, prying Alex off the locker.

"Fine...I get ya. I mean...I guess she could pass for a 7 or 8 on a good day.." Alex muttered more to himself than to Zach as he climbed down the stairs slowly. 

Zach made his way to Elizabeth but did not find her at her locker. "Did she leave already?" he asked the girl one locker over to which she beamed at his handsome face, "Uh yeah she went down about 5 minutes ago, I think she's by the gym" her eyelashes batted.

"Thanks,"

He huffed as he made his way to the gym where he found Elizabeth talking among a group of girls on the volleyball team. They entered the gym and she waved goodbye to them, her beautiful smile rose as she saw Zach approach. His black pants hugged his long slender legs, the white button down school shirt was untucked and his red and black tie hung loosely in front of him. His hair was messy, the fringe was lazy as it hovered over his forehead.

"Lizzy, you weren't at your locker. Trying to hide from me or something?" He jested giving her a half hug.

"Why bother? You always wind up finding me." she laughed, poking his hard abs. "Guess what !" she swung her body side to side from excitement.

Zach placed a pensive finger on his chin and thought, "Hmmm you have decided you want to be my girlfriend?" he snickered.

Elizabeth's excited expression turned into a playful frown, although her cheeks tingled at the idea of it. "No.."

"Oh I know,  you've decided you want to run away with me?" Zach grabbed her hand and began to walk away to the back of the school "I accept, let's get outta here before our folks catch us,"

Elizabeth couldn't help but laugh at his ridiculousness, "Zach no! Fine I'll tell you since you're guesses are terrible." She grounded her feet forcing him to turn around and look at her. Her smile and adorably excited face was making the butterflies in his stomach tumble as if they were in the dryer. His hormones were pushing him to grab her cheeks, hold them in place while he kissed her against the brick walls of the gym's outer hallway. He bit his lip to remain calm, but just looking at her in her black and red uniform, her raven hair twisted to one side of her shoulder and her bright shinning eyes were almost too much for him.

How long will I be able to contain myself? Without thinking, he had Elizabeth's back up against the wall.

"Huh?" she held up her hands to his shoulder to stop before he got too close, his forehead pressed against hers again. "We're still at school," she whispered as she noticed a few students turn back to stare at them.

"I know, sorry." he breathed softly. His eyes peered into hers, "I'm out of guesses"

Elizabeth's expression lightened again, "I've been asked to try out for the volleyball team!"

***********************

By Friday that week Elizabeth had made the team without question, her new team mates all applauded in welcoming her. She was given a sporting team jacket with the number 26 on the back, the same as with her jersey and shorts, all in the schools colors black and red. After their meeting, three girls stayed behind with Elizabeth before leaving the gym.

"We do practice everyday after school, sometimes we flip flop on Friday though," the tallest girl explained shrugging her shoulders.  She had thick wavy blond hair that cascaded down from her two low pigtails.

"Yeah sometimes we just hang out, go to the mall, sneak into a movie..." a bright and cheery brunette said bouncing on her heels in excitement over the new team mate.

One girl who had her arms crossed, her sharp eyes examined Elizabeth from head to toe with a serious look merely sniffed at the brunette's comment, " Huh, only YOU would sneak into an R rated movie," she pointed out still keeping her sharp eyes on Elizabeth.

The brunette fanned away at her comment, " Yeah yeah whatever, I'm Lily. The stuck up one is Brianne and our blondie here is Anne. She's our team leader."

Anne nodded in approval with her hands on her hips. Already Elizabeth looked up to her, she was a gorgeous girl with long toned legs, a tight thin waist, a heart shaped face that extended from her delicate neck and gorgeous black eyes.

"You're welcome to tag along with us anytime after practice," Anne assured her as she picked up her duffel bag. "Don't be shy, we're practically family." she looked over at Brianne who picked up her bag and snickering beneath her breath at how annoyed she was with all the homework for the week.

"Well...it might take some time getting used to Brianne" she whispered to Elizabeth before winking at her. Elizabeth merely giggled until Brianne shot her a daggering stare.

"Anyways, do you wanna catch a ride with us to the mall in Anne's car?" Lily latched onto Elizabeth's shoulder.

"Oh I live close by so I usually walk," the new team member explained, adjusting her duffel bag around her shoulders and zipping up her jacket.

"Aw, okay next time then" 

They all said their goodbyes and Elizabeth pulled out her phone as she reached the lonely school courtyard. She walked forward without putting much attention to her surrounding while scrolling through her playlist until she saw a pair of black shiny shoes in front of her.