Seventeen

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

"There's one for each of us, every single one of us that escaped, even me." I whispered, pulling myself closer to Newt. Around us, many people clung to each other or was backing away. Rain had started to drizzle over us, and thunder cracked in the distance. Tommy began running at one of the monsters, screaming with a broken spear in his hand. He hit at one of the bulbs, and it broke, making the monster swing back at Tommy. This seemed to snap everyone else out of their frozen state as they scattered, attacking different monsters with what little weapons we had. Newt took me off to the side in a mostly hidden place. The wind had begun to pick up, blowing through my hair.

"Stay here, I'll be back." Newt told me and I nodded, knowing there was nothing else that I could do as the rain came down harder, blowing sand into the air.

I squinted my eyes, peeking from my hiding place to see how the fight was going. I quickly spotted Tommy, Delilah, and Alby's sister. They were fighting one of the monsters, but as Delilah hit the last bulb, it collapsed in front of them. Their victory was short lived as another beast stalked forward, raising its hands in the air. I couldn't see far enough to tell if Minho or Newt was anywhere close.

I quickly slid back into my hiding place. Over the thundering rain, I could hear the faint whirring of one of WICKED's Bergs. I looked around, spotting a shadow in the distance. I watched it come closer, some hope rising up in my chest.

There was a sharp tug on my bag, and I was lifted by the straps. I was turned, looking to where a face would usually be, but instead there was only an open mouth. I felt my stomach drop as the monster let go of my bag, gripping my throat. I gasped, pulling at the hand. I tried to look around to find possible nearby help, but I could barely see anything through the blur of the rain. I kicked my legs out as I struggled, hitting a bulb and breaking it. The monster screeched, grip loosening on me for a moment. I kicked at the monster again, pain filling my chest from lack of oxygen. The monster screamed again, throwing me. I slid across the sand and slammed into one of the boxes. I sucked in a breath with a groan, the pain from before subsiding.

When I looked up, I could see the monster coming to me, a large shadow standing tall over me. I reached out with my hand, trying to hit another bulb on the monster's leg, but it grabbed my hand, harshly yanking me up. A tugging pulled at my stomach, one that seemed almost useless as I couldn't follow it to where I knew the tug was trying to lead me, to Newt.

I tried hitting at a bulb on the monster's head, only able to crack it as it grabbed my hand, twisting it. I let out a cry of pain as the monster turned my hand to grip the collar of my shirt. Its own hand gripped my shirt as well and it pulled me closer. The rain and wind pushed harder, blurring my vision. Briefly, I saw the flash of lightning as I stared down at the monster. It let go of my hand it had previously lifted me up with, then lifted me higher by my shirt. I felt one of my fingers crack in its grip. I saw the monster pull back its other hand, almost seeming smug. I closed my eyes, kicking out my leg. The monster cried out, and I heard the sound of fabric ripping, then I was on the ground. I grunted as I landed on my bag, something digging into my back. I heard someone faintly call out my name.

The monster held my shirt in the air, now in shreds. I shivered at the coolness of the rain beating at my skin. The monster stepped forward as I scoot back, making slow progress as my hands slid along the wet sand. My heart beat picked up and the tug pulled hard. This was it, I was going to die. I wasn't strong enough to face the monster, not in my cold, shirtless state, with my legs I couldn't even walk or stand to fight on. I closed my eyes as the monster raised a hand, cowering.

"We have to stop having encounters like this!" Someone grabbed me, pulling me up, then I was being carried. I opened my eyes in surprise, looking up to see Tommy. I smiled, my heart still racing. The sound of the Berg was louder now.

"Yeah, you're always saving my ass!"

"Newt wanted to do the honors, but he said he couldn't run fast enough to save you without getting you both hurt, so here I am." Tommy smiled slightly before taking a sharp turn. "The Berg was almost to the ground last time I checked, so I hope we get there before take off or we are so screwed." I nodded, clinging on to his shirt. Soon, I could faintly make out the outline the Berg. Only a few more people were left to be ushered on. Even from here, I could tell the one being pushed on was Newt. His limp was unmistakable.

"We're not gonna make it!" I yelled over the rain. Tommy huffed, trying to pick up the pace as the Berg began to lift off from the ground. Behind us, multiple monsters screeched out. I looked back, worried as I silently willed Tommy to go faster or the Berg to lift off slower, but neither happened. As the Berg made it a foot off the ground, Tommy changed direction.

"Tommy? What are you doing?" Tommy shook his head as I stared up at him, then looked forward to where he was running.

"Just trust me." The Berg was still rising.

"It's too high to jump, only one of us would make it."

"Trust me." Tommy repeated and I nodded, swallowing. I looked forward, seeing where we were running was a rock that was elevated off of the ground like a ramp. "Hold on." Tommy grunted when we reached the rock. I nodded, wrapping a tighter arm around him. The Berg had started to move forward, but hadn't completely risen yet. The hatch was still open.

I let out a small scream of surprise when Tommy jumped. Fear filled me for a moment as we went airborne. Below us was only a steep and dark fall. I shut my eyes, curling into myself, waiting until we landed on something. 

We did. We hit metal and I slipped from Tommy. We slid different directions, and I didn't stop until I hit a wall. I opened my eyes, groaning as I gripped my side. I had hit the same place as when the monster threw me at one of the boxes earlier.

"(y/n)?" I looked up, seeing Newt scrambling up to me as the hatch closed. Newt knelt in front of me, grabbing at me. "What happened? Where is your shirt?" I looked down, shivering in the cold air of the Berg.

"The monster ripped it." Newt frowned, pulling his shirt over his head. Underneath was a thin white tank top. I smiled in thanks as I took off my bag and I put the shirt on, inhaling Newt's scent as the shirt collar settled loosely around my neck. Newt grasped at my face, holding me close against him.

"I thought... I thought I lost you. Tommy took off and you weren't at the Berg when I got there and I-" I pulled from Newt's hug, seeing his eyes fill with tears. I brushed a hand through his wet hair, only wincing slightly when my finger touched against his skin, then I smiled at him as he leaned into my touch.

"But I'm here. I'm alive. Tommy saved my ass again." Newt nodded, some of the tears spilling over.

"I got the tugging, and I-" I nodded.

"I did too."

"What happened to your hand?" I shook my head.

"Don't worry about that, okay? They'll patch me up like they always do. Just worry about now." My voice was a whisper and Newt searched my face, holding me as if I wasn't real. His fear still shone through his eyes. Newt pulled me into a kiss, hand tangling into my hair as he pushed me closer to him. I smiled as I pulled away from him. Soft footsteps came towards us, and Newt was the first to look up.

"Thank you for saving her, Tommy." Tommy sat down beside us, smiling as he looked to me.

"Always. We never leave family behind."

Original Publish Date: October 20, 2017