Three

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

I sat, fiddling with my fingers. I couldn't understand what my tattoo meant. I kept replaying it in my mind as the Gladers kept shouting out around us, also trying to understand the meaning of their own tattoos. 

"Can you see what my tattoo says?" I looked up at Tommy, nodding with a tight smile. He knelt down in front of me, and I gently pushed his shirt collar down. I frowned, pausing. "What? What does it say?" Tommy tilted his head to look at me. I cleared my throat.

"Property of WICKED. Group A, Subject A2. To be Killed by Group B." Tommy turned, looking quickly at Aris. 

"By Aris' group?" Aris looked away from Tommy and I nodded. 

"Supposedly, but hey, WICKED probably intended for us to die in the Mazes, but we didn't. We won't let you die now, either. You're family." Tommy gave a weak smile, sitting on the opposite side of my wheelchair from Newt. 

"Are you doing okay, (y/n)? You look a little upset." I nodded, swallowing, thinking back to my tattoo. 

"Just fine Tommy. Don't worry about me." Tommy frowned at me, eyes flickering to Newt, but he didn't say anything else. Newt grabbed my hand, running his thumb over the back of my hand. I squeezed his hand, feeling grateful for his attempt of comfort. 

~

Instead of quieting down, the Gladers only grew in volume, arguing about their tattoos and confusion on what this all meant, then everyone moved to panicking about starving and dying in this building. I shook my head, before raising my voice. 

"Will everyone just slim it?! We aren't going die here! Are you all this stupid? I mean, think about it, really think about. Mysterious saviors who take us to a random place surrounded by Cranks and sand? Then suddenly everyone who saved us is dead, Teresa is replaced by a random boy and we are left with is ominous tattoos on our necks while being locked up in this place? We didn't get away from WICKED, not really, and that is obvious now. This is just leading us to another test. It's like I said before, WICKED needs us." The Gladers all looked at one another. Down the hallway, a loud alarm filled the air. The sound brought me back to being in the Glade. 

"It's like the Box!" I called, and a tugging took me out into the hallway. I heard Newt follow me as I left the room as fast as I could. I rolled myself down the hallway, turning corners. I was unsure on what was leading me there, but then suddenly in one of the hallways I stopped. 

"(y/n), wait!" I turned to look at Newt as he rounded the corner. He was panting, trying to catch his breath, but he also had a small smile on his face. "Found you." I noticed that the alarm sound had stopped. I turned my chair, smiling back at Newt. 

"Guess you did. I don't know what came over-" I slammed into a small barrier in front of me. I frowned, placing my hand against the invisible barrier. "What in the-" A mechanic whirring sounded beneath me. I felt the floor beneath me shake. Newt looked down before running to meet me at the barrier. 

"No, no, I can't lose you!" I looked down, noticed the square that surrounded me on the floor. I tried to move my chair, but it wouldn't budge, and when I tried to push myself out, I was stuck in the chair. I looked back up at Newt who was hitting at the barrier. I pushed my hands against the barrier as well.

"Newt, I can't move, it- it won't let me!" I hit at the barrier as the square I was began to sink. I pushed against my wheelchair handles, but I stayed stuck to my chair like a magnet. 

"I'm trying (y/n). I'm going to get you." Newt grunted as he hit the barrier with his elbow. I could see a small zap hit him every few hits. 

"Newt, stop, it'll keep zapping you until it tosses you across this hallway. You'll get hurt." The platform lowering me was halfway in the hole. I grabbed at the edge of the hole. Newt shook his head at me, hitting the barrier again. 

"I don't care, I need to get you." I pushed against the edge of the hole, coming from my chair. I smiled at Newt. 

"I did it, I got out of my-" Something yanked down on my leg and I heard a familiar clicking. I panicked, gripping harder on the edge and trying to pull myself up. "Shuck, shuck, shuck!" I could faintly hear the other Gladers yelling in the background, looking for us. 

"(y/n), love, what is it? What is in there with you?" I looked up at Newt, biting my lip. It sounded like a Griever, but the grip wasn't as strong, but I didn't want to tell him that. It pulled on me again. I shook my head. 

"I don't know, but it's pulling me." One of my hands slipped out from underneath me and I squeaked, trying to catch myself before I was tugged into the hole. Newt hit at the barrier again and again, then suddenly, as if it had built up, he was zapped and thrown back. 

"Newt!" I tried to reach for him as he landed on the ground, but my fingertips were still met with the clear surface of the barrier. I felt something prick into my lower back, making my muscles slacken and my hands gave out from underneath me as Newt leaned up from on the ground. I heard him call my name as I was pulled into the hole in the ground, shoved back into my wheelchair, and then it all went dark. 

Original Publish Date: January 3, 2017