Six

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

"Come on, you shanks! We have to leave through the portal in twenty minutes!" I rolled closer into Newt's side, wishing it wasn't time to leave. The bed tilted as someone jumped on it. I bounced, sitting up quickly to catch myself. Minho jumped on the bed a couple of more times before getting off. I pushed at his leg as he got off, making him stumble.

"We heard you the first time, no need to jump on the bed." Minho laughed.

"But it was fun while it lasted." Minho turned away from me, still yelling for everyone to get up and ready as I leaned down to Newt. I smiled at Newt's sleeping face for a second, completely peaceful. I gently shook him, then kissed his temple.

"C'mon Newt, you gotta get up. We have to leave soon." Newt's eyes slowly opened, trailing to me as he smiled.

"I'm up." I brushed a hand over the hair on his forehead, returning Newt's smile.

"We have to be up and ready in less than 20 minutes." His smile dropped into a frown.

"I know." Newt sat up as the other Gladers bustled around, getting ready. Newt pulled my wheelchair over. "I'll get you to the bathroom so you can start getting ready." I moved off of the bed and to the chair, then Newt pushed me into the bathroom. "I'll be quick." I told him as he shut the door.

~

Newt's hands gripped the handlebars of my wheelchair as we waited for the barrier to fall so we could walk through the Flat Trans. For a moment, the barrier turned into a light gray, then fell away. I looked back to Newt to find him already looking at me. He sent me a nervous smile, taking my hand in his as I turned back around, watching as Minho walked towards the Flat Trans, then walked through. Slowly, the rest of us followed.

When Newt pushed me through, a cool feeling crossed over my skin, and everything was dark on the other side, except for the pale glow the Flat Trans gave off.

"Dammit. I didn't think the dark was going to be an issue!" Minho's grumble echoed.

"I don't think we're completely in the Scorch yet. We would know if we were." I reached my hand out, feeling a wall. Tommy was the last one to come to us through the Flat Trans. It closed behind him. "Just feel the wall as we walk. That must lead us somewhere."

The Gladers trekked on with little to say. I dragged my hand along the rough wall as Newt pushed me forward. In the dark, it felt like we had been going through this tunnel for hours.

"There is great danger up ahead. Turn back now before it is too late." I flinched at the booming voice, tugging my hand to myself. My palm caught on a jagged rock on the wall as I pulled it away. I hissed at the sting across my palm, closing my hand into a fist.

"Shouldn't we listen to voice and turn back?" Winston's voice was soft, and his question was met by several of us yelling out "no!"

"We would have no where to go if we turned back anyway. Keep going ahead." The Gladers began to move forward again on Minho's command. I kept my hand close to me instead of putting it back on the wall. I could feel blood begin to pool on the surface.

"Turn back now! This is your last warning!" The voice was louder, more insistent. We all froze for a moment.

"Guys...?" Winston's voice cracked, but he was left ignored as we kept moving forward. Behind us, there was a loud thunk and then the scream of a Glader. I turned in panic, searching in the dark.

"Who is that? What's wrong?!" Minho shouted. I could hear the shuffle of the other Gladers, wanting to find out what happened, but also too scared to leave the wall. There was a clank of metal in water, then we were quiet.