Two

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

I woke up to a grumbling whisper. I groaned, turning on my side while in Newt's hold. I mumbled for the person to be quiet, but the mumbling continued. I opened my eyes and leaned myself up. I was ready to be angry, but I found myself retracting in on myself and slamming into Newt. He grunted from the force I hit him with as I gripped onto his shirt.

"(y/n)? What in the bloody hell-" I shushed him, pointing towards the window. There, a man with a bloodied nose and black veins crossing up his face stood. The man gripped tightly at the bars of the window. Behind him, a woman came up. The same veins crossed the left side of her face. She smiled at me, waving. I felt Newt's grip on me tighten and his breath hitched.

"What are they?" Newt's whisper wafted over my ear. I slowly turned to look at him.

"They have the Flare. They're Cranks. They almost remind me of-" A screaming came from outside the window, causing me to jump, eyes going back to the window. A third figure had come, their face too disfigured to tell for certain what they looked like, but I could see the black veins that crept up the figure's throat as they screamed again, pushing the man and woman aside and gripping at the bars, pulling wildly. Many of the Gladers scrambled out of their beds, backing away. Tommy fell to the floor with a shout. The window with the Cranks had been above his and Minhos's bunk bed. 

Another Crank came to the window, pulling at the bars. I saw the bar shift from being pulled on. Newt scooped me against him, and put me in my wheelchair as the rest of the Gladers pushed for the door. Newt pushed my chair out and Tommy was the one to close the door behind us. Through the wood, we could faintly hear the muffled yells and screams of the Cranks. Something metal hit the ground.

"Geez, do these shanks sleep in late or something?" I looked at Minho. He was leaning against the wall opposite of the door, looking around. The lights were still dim, but through the window the sun had appeared to be high in the sky. I furrowed my eyebrows. It did seem that whoever brought us here would be waking up late, if they weren't already up.

We started down the hallway, all of us silent. I reached back to grab Newt's hand in comfort as he pushed me forward. There was bad feeling building in my stomach as we came to the dining area we had eaten in the night before. All the lights in this room were off.

"I remember a light being here somewhere." Clint whispered. I faintly saw him shuffle to the wall, reaching his hand along the side of it. I rolled myself gently to the other wall. Newt was close behind me. I reached my hand along the wall. My hand met the cool metal of the light switch. I gently flipped up the switch, looking out towards the room as the lights flickered on. Immediately, I screamed, staring out towards the middle of the room where the people who rescued us yesterday were hanging from one of the light fixtures. I felt a tug in my stomach to Newt and I looked back at him. He looked pale, but only swallowed before looking down at me.

"This is just plain wrong..." I heard Frypan whisper and I looked back to the hanging people and the Gladers. Tommy had moved closer. Behind him, Winston was recovering from throwing up, Dan comforting him.

"This isn't right. They... they look like they've been here for at least two days." I nodded, trailing my eyes over the woman.

"He's right, which is odd because they only saved us last night."

"Unless we've been sleeping for multiple days?" I sent Minho a pointed look and he shrugged at me.

"Minho, we have not been sleeping for days."

"But listen, then what-" Tommy perked up, pushing past Minho.

"Teresa!" Tommy ran out of the room. Newt hesitated for a moment, then followed behind Tommy.