Twelve

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

I looked around with a grateful smile as we came up out of the tunnels. I sucked in a breath as the sun hit my skin, reveling in the small moment of time I would be feeling nice outside. I looked around, noticing most of the Gladers and the different leaders they escaped with were here too.

"Tommy isn't here. Neither is Brenda." Newt looked around, realizing my observation was correct. 

"Delilah, where is Tommy?" Delilah frowned, biting her lip. 

"Maybe... maybe they just haven't made it out yet." I frowned, not convinced. Delilah looked away from us as if she wasn't convinced either. Delilah began walking towards Jorge, and Newt followed close behind her. Delilah leaned towards Jorge, whispering. Jorge glanced at Newt and me for a moment.

"I'm sure both Brenda and your friend is okay. Brenda is smart, she can get them out." I crossed my arms. 

"No offense, but I find it hard to trust her." Jorge shook his head. 

"Funny cause she trusts yo-" I scoffed, cutting him off.

"Delilah trusts Newt and me. Brenda only trusts Tommy. I'm not sure why she only trusts him, but she does. After years of sticking with people that trust you, you can immediately pick out the people who don't." Jorge tilted his head, pausing, then frowned. .  

"We still have to move before we are followed up the tunnels by Cranks. I'm sure that we'll run into them at some point. Even if you don't trust Brenda, I do." Jorge turned to everyone else. "Alright everyone! Time to move before we are followed!" Dan came to us, a small smile on his face as he glanced to Delilah. The group of people got up, some of their complaints being grumbled as they picked up their stuff, then we all followed behind Jorge. 

~

Not far in our walk from the tunnels, we came across a seemingly abandoned town. As we walked through, I noticed large signs on many of the buildings that read, "Thomas is the true leader." 

"What does that even mean?" Newt whispered to me. I looked around, squinting at the signs, shrugging. 

"Hell if I know. I'd say WICKED has big plans for Tommy, though." Around us, the other Gladers gawked at the buildings, turning in circles to stare at the signs as we walked. 

Soon, we came to a huge building. Areas of the house appeared to be rotting, caving in, but that didn't stop the many people entering into the building, cups raised in the air as they screamed out. Loud music played through the broken windows. 

"Damn it." Jorge turned to us. "We have to go through there to get through to the other side."

"Maybe we can wait it out?" Dan suggested. Delilah shook her head beside him. 

"We'll be dead by the time it ends. Parties like these typically don't stop until the attendees drop dead, literally." 

"Maybe we should pretend like we're partying and go through to the other side." Jorge sighed, but nodded. 

"That's our best option so far." He looked at everyone. 

"No matter what, stay in your groups. If you don't, you will be left behind and have a high chance of dying, just hold onto each other's backs or something." Then Jorge turned, getting together his own group. I noticed Jeff and Aidan were with Jorge, but Clint wasn't with them. 

"I think we should go together." Dan said, standing by Newt and I. Delilah nodded beside him, her blue eyes looking to the building. 

"Dan and I can stay close by. (y/n) can look like she drank too much or something. Just remember to look happy, as if this is the best time of your life. It's like a field trip." I smiled, nodding as I pulled myself closer to Newt, though I didn't know what a field trip was. As we came to the door, I felt Delilah grab at the bag on my shoulder. When Newt entered, I blinked my eyes quickly, trying to adjust to the flashing lights. Smoke was everywhere. Above us, someone was swinging on the chandelier, and in front of us was a large group of dancing bodies. Immediately, understanding came onto why Jorge kept emphasizing on sticking together.