Chapter 15

Murtagh’s expression was priceless. His jaw hung open in complete awe and his eyes were glued to Lena’s as if he were searching for any indication that she was bluffing. Alas, she was telling the truth and he could sense it. “How can that be?” He finally said after coming to his senses.

“I don’t know, but here I am,” Lena lifted her hands in the air to announce her presence more dramatically.

“No.” Murtagh closed his eyes and shook his head. Upon re-opening his eyes he said, “No, you are only some story. How can you be real?”

A cool breeze unsettles the leaves above them making Lena shiver. Evening was drawing nearer. Murtagh unclasped his cloak and handed it to her. “Take this it’s cold out here.”

Unwilling to deny his courtesy, Lena grabbed the cloak and wrapped it around her slender frame. Going back to their previous conversation, she asked, “You know about the prophecy?”

Murtagh  nodded. “My mentor, he taught me things, even things that are forbidden. He had so many scrolls in his library and he allowed me to read any one I wanted.

“ Anyways, one night he led me to his chambers where he took out a scroll that had been hidden. It was very old; the paper was thin and the ink had all but faded, but a few paragraphs could still be read. It was about you, a girl from Earth who would end up in Alagaesia.”

Lena remained quiet as she listened to Murtagh. The wind gradually picked up and she had reason to believe that a storm was brewing. Despite the weather, they continued to sit in the woods, talking. “What you say is true, but there is something else that you do not know that will complicate the matter.”

Murtagh cocked his head. “And what would that be?”

Taking a deep breath, she calmly uttered, “I am not the only girl from Earth who is in Alagaesia right now.” Once more, Lena watched as his face contorted into absolute shock.

“This is folly, how can there be two of you?”

Lena shrugged. “I have no idea.”

Running his hands through his hair, Murtagh asked, “How do you know there is another?”

Resting her head against the tree trunk, she allowed her memory to flit back to the afternoon she shared with Eragon in Dras Leona. The events seemed so long ago and a sense of nostalgia gripped her. “We, that is Eragon and I, were wandering around in Dras Leona. This was only a few weeks ago,” she paused, briefly, and then said, “Actually it was a few days before we met you.”

“Really?”

“Yes. Galbatorix had paid a visit that day and he had brought her, Morgan Fey.” At the mention of her name, her tone had become bitter. Taking notice of her discomfort, Murtagh had to ask why the name offended her. “You really want to know, don’t you?”

Murtagh nodded. “I have declared Morgan to be my sworn enemy.” After, she explained what Morgan had done to her and her friends back in high school much like she had done with Eragon. When she had finished, she had to take some deep breaths to calm down. It never failed; whenever she had to talk about Morgan, she became upset.

“I’m sorry.” His voice was soft and comforting.

“It’s not your fault.”

“Still, you have been through a lot and I am sorry for the pain she has caused you.”

“That is very kind of you.” For the first time in hours, she cracked a small smile.

Murtagh smiled back, but sighed afterward. “I finally understand your predicament with Eragon.”