Chapter 11

The Return of the Guardian

Chapter 11

Eragon sensed his dragon approach, her sadness radiating within the bond they shared. He was still holding Lena as her sobs subsided. Having her near calmed him and he was thankful to have her with him. She was the only one aside from Saphira that he could trust, and he treasured that more than anything. They had only been together for a few days, but he felt that he had known her much longer.

"Are you all right?" he asked. Lena suddenly clung tighter to his shirt as if she were about to cry again.

"He's gone," she said, barely above a whisper.

"Who?" Eragon was unsure if she was still referring to her grandpa.

"Brom." She looked up into his eyes. "He was the only one I knew who knew about the prophecy and the portal." Eragon paled as the realization sunk in. She was right; Brom seemed to know a lot about the prophecy and now he was gone. Her fear became his as he cursed under his breath.

"What are we going to do?" Her eyes were pleading with him.

He had to look away else he would find himself trapped in her blue orbs. He gazed at his dragon. Saphira, what are we to do? Brom was my mentor and I feel so lost without him.

Do you still want to pursue the Ra'zac? Saphira asked through their mental connection.

Aye, I do, but the task is dangerous and we cannot defeat them. It was foolish of me to even think that I had a chance. No, I think my course must change; no matter how much I want revenge, I must be reasonable.

Brom mentioned the Varden. Perhaps we should find them. They can offer us protection and maybe someone will be able to help Lena.

Eragon nodded. Lena knew he was consulting his dragon as soon as his gaze left hers. She waited patiently for his response, her head resting on his chest. The Varden! Saphira, that's it! Thank you.

You are welcome, Little One.

Eragon felt better after he had a plan. Lena was now his responsibility and he did not want anything to happen to her. "Lena," he began, catching her attention. "Saphira and I agreed on a new plan. We decided not to pursue the Ra'zac and head straight to the Varden instead."

Her eyes widened. "I thought you wanted revenge…"

"I do," he said, not meaning to cut her off. "It's just there are too many of them and I cannot defeat them even with Saphira by my side. Brom was right; this was a fool's errand. But no more. The Varden is our best option."

"Where exactly is the Varden?" Eragon explained to her where it was located and the route he planned to take. "So far…" she trailed off.

"It is, but what else are we to do?" Lena shrugged. Becoming bold, he took her hands in his and said, "By my honor as a Dragon Rider, I promise to help you find a way home."

"So, you think someone at the Varden can help me?"

Eragon nodded. "There has to be someone. If we cannot find someone at the Varden, then we will look elsewhere."

"All right. We will head to the Varden. Just keep in mind that I will hold you to your word."

Murtagh cleared his throat. He had just gotten back from hunting and was surprised to find Eragon holding Lena so close. "I am sorry to interrupt, but…" he paused.

"Yes?" Eragon asked trying to get the young man to finish his sentence, letting go of Lena's hands.

"Oh, I found us some dinner," he held up two rabbits, "and, I was wondering how you were doing. You have been up here almost all day." He said this quickly, feeling bad for intruding on them.

The Return of the Guardianजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें