Victoria

Victoria

I lied on my bed, eyes fixated on the off-white ceiling and ears drowning in music. Despite the volume of the song being pushed to the point where my eardrums begged for mercy, I could still hear them screaming at each other, and the earsplitting crash of a plate hitting the wall still managed to breach the heavy bass and piercing guitar of my favorite bands.

I closed my eyes and tried my hardest to focus on the music, I really did, but yet I still found myself being drawn back to my parents' fighting.

"You never do anything, you good-for-nothing piece of shit!"

"At least I have a job, you bitch! The only thing you know how to do is open your legs, and even then you don't bring home anything but STDs!"

"Stop it!"

"Get out of here, Jesse!"

"No! This needs to stop! You better get yourselves together, or else I'm taking Victoria, and I'm calling DCF on your sorry asses!"

The door slammed shut, and my older brother was gone.

I squeezed my eyes shut tightly, to the point where my teeth clenched and my temples ached. I screamed into my pillow; angry, pointless noise to relieve the pressure in my head. They couldn't hear me, anyway; not over the sound of their own voices.

I felt myself relax over time, used to the noise and comforted by the speakers over my ears. The thought of my razors passed through my mind only once, and then there was nothing but the world I had left behind me as my breaths evened out, and I fell into a sleep too deep for dreams.