whats going on?

be prepared for this chapter. a lot of thing are going to come together. it's an important chapter.

-----------------

Jasmine POV

I opened the door, hitting a pair of shoes carelessly placed right in the foyer.

I moved ricks pair of sneakers into the closet and shut the front door. I turned to see rick sitting on the couch, watching hockey on the tv.

I sat beside him and sighed,"Rick." I got his attention away from the tv and he looked at me "What's going on?"

"It's such a long story." he sighed, rubbing his temples. he wasn't falling-on-his-ass drunk, but he was still a little intoxicated.

"Rick please." I pleaded "what's going on?"

He sighed,"Do you know why you're here?"

"You mean in California?"

"yes."

"Well mom said you had a right to see me and you wanted to." I raised an eyebrow

"I wanted to see you because... I don't have much longer Jas." his voice cracked when he said my name and tears threatened to spill from his eyes.

"What..?" a single tear dropped from my eye and landed on my shirt.

"I.. I wanted you here so I could see you... to say goodbye to you when the time comes." he was full on crying now and he wasn't as intoxicated as before.

"No.." I began sobbing as well. "you can't.. what is it?"

"Jasmine." he grabbed my hands and looked into my eyes.

"I've been diagnosed with cancer-"

"No." I cut him off "no you don't.. Rick... dad you can't." his arms wrapped around me and I placed my head on his shoulder.

Everything began making sense.

Him and the doctor at the hospital seemed so familiar with eachother. As if they've met many times before.

The drinking. it was all to wash away the thoughts of what the future can bring.

"I'm sorry you had to figure out this way. me being intoxicated and all..." he chucked lowly, trying to lighten the mood.

I pulled away from his shoulder and wiped the tears from my cheeks.

"We should both get some sleep." the clock on the wall read 10:26.

"We can talk in the morning." he gave me a small smile. "maybe go out to breakfast."

"Yeah." I tried returning the smile but I failed at the attempt looking pathetic.

I stood up from the couch and went into my room saying a goodnight to rick before shutting the door.

How could I have been so rude to him? The whole time I've been here I've spent it trying to rebel from him. All he was trying to do was hangout with me.

I felt a sigh escape my lips. I was sad and alone. the only thing that would make me feel better would be Harry.

I sat on my bed and grabbed my phone. I went to Harry's contact and clicked FaceTime.

he answered on the second ring. the camera opened to his cheeky smile and his shirtless chest.

"Hey Jas!" he smiled hugely before seeing the puffiness of my eyes "what's wrong?" he asked hurriedly and worriedly.

"rick.." I paused and swallowed the lump in my throat. he waited patiently for my response.

"can you come over?"