Chapter 13: That Little Voice in Your Head Isn't Friendly

Start from the beginning

I couldn't help but wince as I shifted Winter to a slightly more comfortable postion on my back.

Fighting demons was something I wouldn't be doing again. End of story. 

Winter, on the other hand, would probably jump at the chance if it meant earning a spot of glory for our beloved guild.

And seeing as how I wouldn't be letting her go alone anytime soon....

I sighed. They're probably start calling us something cheesy. Like the Demon-Hunting Duo of Fairy Tail. Oh well. It'll probably boost my popularity with the ladies again...

A muffled moan into my back broke me from my thoughts and a knot of guilt twisted my stomach. I knew how uncomfortable my flirtatious personality made Winter, but it wasn't a habit one could kick so easily. Well, actually, it was my personality, and that wasn't even more difficult to change, no matter how tempting your encouragement was.

My eyes drifted to the tuft of blonde hair snaked over my jacket. Her head rested limply on my shoulder, face turned into the crook of my next. Her warm breath fanned over me, blistering my skin. I swallowed thickly. 

There had never been a moment when I wanted to come clean to her more. She was a special girl, the first who'd ever managed to make my vault of secrets seem accessible in the three years sinced I'd joined Fairy Tail. She was also the first girl who made me flustered enough that I didn't immediately hit on her upon sight. Possibly that was because she didn't believe a word of what I said; she brushed it off as harmless flirting and merely grinned at me.

But she'd started to crack, after I'd been able to push past the fact that she was a Celestial Spirit mage and get close to her. Too close, as a matter of fact, as her recently crimson-flushed cheeks informed me. But she was cute when she was embarrassed, and it didn't happen very often, so I readily enjoyed teasing her. It wasn't as though she didn't do the same to me.

"Mm, Loke, you smell like shit."

I nearly tripped over thin air, only managing to right myself at the last second. I looked at her incredulously, barely taking in her bleary, blinking eyes, or the way she knuckled her nose as she yawned. She really was too adorable for her own good like this. "I think you meant to say that I smell like the man of your dreams. Unless the man of your dreams is a rancher. In which case, I'm flattered," I said, an amorous smile playing at my lips.

She laughed lightly, cinching her arms tighter around my neck, hugging my sides more snuggly with her knees. I felt my heart skitter. 

This should really be the other way around, I thought, slightly panicked. She's not even trying! 

"Funny, Loke, really funny," she murmured, a small, amused smile on her face. Her eyes studied my face as we hobbled back towards Fairy Tail. We'd both been treated by local doctors back at the beach town, but we were nowhere near optimal condition, which explained why I had the honor of carrying Winter. Even with my aches and pains demanding attention, I found she didn't weigh much and I could carry her with ease, though I noted we'd have to stop for rest in a few hours.

I truly did hate being a human right then. It made things so complicated. And they were annoyingly fragile.

"No, but really, you smeel gross. Too sweaty. Didn't you bathe at the doctor's?" she asked, lifting her head a bit to peer at me at something closer to eye level. I only turned my head a fraction to meet her inquisitive eyes.