VIP Ticket

They watched every interview about the new album they could find, but none of these interviews were able to show Danica answering that last question in more detail. The album had only come out yesterday and it was as if she was trying to preserve whatever shred of privacy Nick had left, which was actually rather sweet, even if Nick's curiosity remained unsatisfied.

Seeing Danica again, even just on his computer screen, made Nick miss her even more. The affection he saw in Danica's eyes during interviews, and the devotion that had obviously been put into 'Her Early Bird' made Nick regret rejecting her. Regret it with every fibre of his being. But what could he do about it now? Then he remembered that Danica had left her phone number with his mother.

But he'd hurt her so badly; why would Danica see him, let alone be with him, again? If only Nick could go back in time and invite Danica in when she'd stood at his bedroom door trying to explain. If only he had listened to his heart, and not his fear. Was it too late now? He wouldn't know unless he tried. Racing down the stairs, Nick searched for his mother who it turned out was in the kitchen.

"DoyoustillhaveDanica'snumber?" Nick asked her all in one breath. Laura was making hamburger patties and had beef and onions all over her hands.

"Okay slow down," Laura said, holding her hands over the bowl without touching anything. "One more time at a human speed please."

"Danica gave you her number," Nick spoke very slowly. "Do you still have it?"

"It's in the contacts of my phone," Laura replied pointing to where her purse sat on the kitchen table. Nick raced over and quickly found the phone in question. His mother didn't have a lock screen, and it only took him seconds to find and dial Danica's number.

"Come on pick up," Nick spoke frantically as he paced in front of the dining room table.

"You have reached the personal voicemail of Dani Brookes," Danica's recorded voice spoke into his ear. "As there are only about three people who have this number: Steven try my music studio if you are looking for me. Skylar just text me, you know I suck at answering my phone." There was a seconds pause before she continued. "If this is Nick calling, don't for a second think that my total failure to answer my phone means I don't want to talk to you, because I do. Nicholas I miss you." Nick listened to the peep, but didn't leave a message. Instead he hung up the phone.

"Voicemail," Nick stated as he set his mother's phone back down on the table. Nick supposed he could try calling her again later, and if he got her voicemail again he could just keep calling her over and over until she answered, but he didn't want to. All Nick wanted to do was run, move. Just standing still was making him jumpy. The idea of sitting still while he waited to dial the phone again was unbearable, but she lived in Toronto. Despite that being in the same country, the states on the west coast were closer to him than Ontario. What other choices did he have?

"Mom!" Vicky's voice called down the stairs accompanied by her footsteps. "Dad! I just found the list of her spots on tour and Dani is gonna be in Vancouver tomorrow! Please please can we go?"

Nick's head snapped up, his mind forming a plan even before he'd finishing thinking about what he was doing.

"How much are the tickets?" Laura asked her daughter though Nick was only half listening.

"They're sold out," Vicky whined. "I wish I'd known about this concert sooner! I'm surprised dad didn't actually."

"That is a good point," Laura replied. "Knowing your father, he might have pre-ordered tickets in the hopes of being able to find time to go."

Without a word, Nick ran up the stairs, down the hall, and into his father's study.

"Dad!" Nick called as he burst into David's office.