Motivational Poster

"That was delicious," Danica enthused as she pushed her plate away. They were in a cafe - once again - with a stunning view of the ocean that Nick totally failed to appreciate. When the check came, Danica tried to snatch it, but Nick was onto her this time.

"You bought lattes," Danica argued. "It's my turn again."

"Lattes don't count," Nick disagreed as he paid the check.

"All about the chivalry aren't you?" Danica sighed as she leaned back in her chair.

"Yep," Nick smiled. "You will forever regret not letting me buy dinner that first time."

"I will do no such thing," Danica laughed.

"Do you want to go out surfing again?" Nick asked, once the waiter had collected the dishes and thanked Nick for his tip.

"I'd love to read some of your poetry actually," Danica replied.

"I seem to recall saying no before," Nick replied quickly.

"Yes, you did," Danica sighed. "I was rather hoping you'd changed your mind by now."

"They aren't good," Nick explained. "I probably should never have mentioned it. I barely write these days."

"Perfect, we can help each other write then," Danica enthused, but Nick shook his head. "You really are fond of the word 'no' aren't you?" He laughed. "Please tell me that at least your family has read them."

"Vicky read one," Nick confessed. "But only because she caught me adding it into my homework once."

"Homework?" Danica asked.

"One of my more creative history teachers back in high school," Nick explained.

"So you haven't written in a very long time then," Danica smiled.

"A year or so," Nick shrugged.

"How old are you?" she asked.

"Almost nineteen," Nick replied. Danica balked. She hadn't realized he was so young. "Why? How old are you?"

"Never ask a lady her age," Danica teased rather than explain to him that she was almost ten years older than him. "I still very much want to read your poems," Danica tried to change the topic. "We could go back to your house, and you could show them to me."

"Oh yeah, great," Nick said sarcastically. "My parents' house. Great date plan."

Danica laughed as she stood up, holding out her hand to him. "To me is is," she smiled.

"How about we save my house for later," Nick suggested. "If you insist on writing instead of surfing, let's go to your Motel."

"Alright," she agreed. "But next time it's your place." Nick groaned as if resigned to the worst, but agreed. They walked hand in hand to the truck and drove to Nick's so he could pick up his poetry notebook.

"This is very silly," Danica told him as he returned carrying the black leather bound book. "We are already here." But Nick just smiled as he started the truck, and a few moments later, they were parking outside her Motel.

"Now may I please read one of your poems," Danica tried again, once they were settled on her couch. "You don't have to read it to me or anything."

"What do I get out of this?" Nick teased.

"I could sing to you," Danica smiled. "A song for a poem?"

"Hmmm," Nick pretended to think, tilted his head but the effect was ruined by the smile on his face. "Alright then."