Changes Everything

The look in Nick's eyes had been one of flight or fight, and Danica somehow hadn't been surprised when Nick ran. She'd wanted to run after him, but the wall of paparazzi stopped her. While she tried to answer and yet not answer the questions put to her, the only thing Danica could think of was the look on Nick's face. The pain there seemed to be permanently fixed behind her eyelids.

Had it been the surprise or the information that made Nicholas run from her? Danica couldn't be sure. She did know that the idea of never seeing Nick again made her want to collapse onto the bed and cry until she couldn't cry anymore. She however, didn't have this option at the moment. The paparazzi were swarming her like a disturbed hornet's nest.

"Was this whole dramatic disappearing act just a publicity stunt to distract from the fact that you haven't put out an album in years?" a reporter with a pair of black classed and brown pants suit said, holding a microphone in her face.

"No!" Danica declared, but no one seemed to take any notice.

"Why did you choose Tofino of all places to hide out?" another reporter added.

"I wasn't hiding," Danica answered. "I was on vacation, which you very rudely interrupted I might add." The reported in no way looked remorseful.

"Is your need for a boy toy because of your heartbreak over Brody?" another reporter said.

"The only thing heartbreaking about Brody is his IQ," Danica replied, grinning.

"Your fans want an explanation about what happened back in Toronto with Brody?" asked a small but determined looking woman with her phone out with the microphone app open and recording.

"I dumped him," Danica explained. "It really isn't that complicated."

"They all want to know why?" the same woman with the app followed up.

"I didn't want to date him anymore," Danica answered.

"Okay fine, but who was the kid who just ran through here? Surely, he's a little young for you," another reporter asked. This time it was a man with a yellow and dark blue shirt and jeans. She wondered if he'd shown up on his day off to interrogate her.

"That's none of your business," Danica replied coolly. She would not talk about Nick. Danica was happy to bash Brody, since he wouldn't notice anyway, but Nicholas deserved better.

"He told me his name is Nick," stated a woman in a smart business suit that was torn in three places. There was blood in the ripped fabric at her knees and elbows. "Did you know he was only eighteen?"

"When were you talking to him?" Danica asked, alarmed. Had this reporter gotten into a fight with Nick? Of course, none of these hypocrites answered her questions, and rather continued to demand she answer theirs.

"Is it true you got a job at his parents surf shop, and that's how you met him?" asked a woman with a boom mic over her head and a camera man behind her.

"No, why would I want to work in retail?" Danica replied.

"Camera phone pictures are surfacing of you sitting behind the counter in the shop," the woman with the boom mic continued, for once actually answering her.

"Care to comment on the potentially disturbing nature of your relationship with an eighteen year old kid?" requested the balding reporter in suspenders who had glasses sliding down his nose.

"Would you be batting an eye if I were nine years younger than him!" Danica snapped. "Such a double standard."

"That's quite enough," Steven's loud booming voice called over the reporters incessant questions. "That's quite enough, now let us pass."