Chapter two

Zoey woke up the next day, her eyes puffy from her silent crying, but she stayed in bed because it was the weekend. Zoey held her tail close, it is a small comfort. A knock came from her door, but she did not answer, remaining silent as her mom called her softly.  Zoey closed her eyes before her mom walked into the room, a Zoroark named Zanna. The mother looked down at her suffering child, wishing nothing more than to take away the pain she was feeling. "Zoey," she said, seeing the tears pour from Zoey's eyes, her own arising. Zanna picked up her daughter, holding her close in an embrace; her daughter just remained silent, knowing that no sound could represent her and how she felt. "Zoey," Zanna murmured, hugging her child as she sat down. "Zoey, I am here for you," Zanna said, giving her love with her embrace and her words.

Zoey just cried silently, numb to the love her mom was trying to give her. "Zoey, talk to me, please," Zanna cried, a tear falling out of her eye; it landed on Zoey's cheek.

That was all it took.

Zoey started to sob audibly, latching onto her mom's neck with a deep sadness as she wailed. "Zoey," Zanna cried, holding her child as she let out her emotions, letting them be known to her only true friend, the one who understands her like no one else. "M-mommy," Zoey sobbed, her tears falling fiercely as she finally got rid of her bottled emotions; her mom's shoulder was soaked with her tears. "Zoey, what is wrong? Tell me, please," Zanna begged.

Zoey could not answer, the answer unsayable as she shook her head.

Pain should be accepted with a mute tone, after all.

Zanna sat with her child in her arms, letting Zoey rest on her body till she was lured into a tear-less sleep, the first smile Zanna had seen on her sweet baby girl's face in years making her weep with relief. "Rest up dear," Zanna said with a shaky smile, laying her child down gently, tucking her in like she was eight.

"I love you," she said, kissing her head before leaving. Zoey was sleeping deeply, a weight off her body, a sweet relief to her. Till her dreams started anyway. 'You are worthless,' a voice said, a Riolu glaring at her. 'Kill yourself,'  a Umbreon told her, handing her a knife. 'Just end it,' the Riolu said, glaring harder at her, a feeling of sheer hate and depression at herself entered Zoey's heart as she took the knife. Zoey screamed as she slashed at her wrist's, blood quickly pooling at her feet; she collapsed in her own blood, an oddly sweet relief entering her body.

Zoey opened her eyes to see her mother holding her, crying out her name; Zoey felt warm, which confused her fuzzy mind. "WHY?!" Zanna cried, the only clear thing Zoey heard as she held something against Zoey's arms; were those bandages? Zoey could only blink, letting her eyes drift shut as Zanna screamed her name, the last thing Zoey heard before she lost consciousness; the paramedics arrived shortly after.

....