Fast Cars

"Gahd... Alam mo bang magkausap kami kagabi ni Pao hanggang alas-tres 'ata ng umaga na 'yun?! I'm pretty sure my phone bill is going to rack up again," Janeeka gushes, taking a sip from her iced tea. "I don't care though. Kasi sobrang sweet niya, alam mo ba 'yun? As in sobrang—"

She stops as she turns her gaze towards her best friend, and one of the well-known as well as fastest street racer in their hometown, Nicomaine, or Nico to most of the locals in their town. They are seated in their favorite booth at the local diner, having brunch on a Saturday.

"Woi, Nico," Janeeka pouts. "Nakikinig ka ba?"

Nico snaps out of it. "Ha? Ah, oo! Nakikinig ako!"

"Tsk," Janeeka tuts, rolling her eyes at Nico. "Ewan ko sa 'yo. Nakatulala ka na naman diyan. Malamang iniisip mo na naman 'yung kotse mo at 'yung laban niyo kagabi."

"Eh, kasi. Hindi ko ineexpect na kaya ng isang—"

"Hep!" Janeeka puts up a hand to stop Nico from continuing. "You know I don't care much about cars and shiz. Pero dahil mahilig ka, support support lang ako sa 'yo. Kahit na hindi ko naiintindihan 'yang racing racing na 'yan."

Nico looks down and blushes. She knows that she hasn't been a good friend lately, what with all the night street races she's been going to, making her tired the following day, giving her just enough energy to go through with her work in her dad's garage shop where she works as the lead car mechanic.

Hence the brunch she scheduled today with Janeeka. She knows she had been neglecting her best friend duties so to make up for it, this brunch came to be. And it seems that even that, she can't keep.

"I'm sorry Neeks," she mumbles, stirring the straw in her own iced tea. "I'm such a horrible friend."

"Hay naku, Nico," Janeeka sighs. "Sa lagay na 'yan, paano ka pa magkaka-boyfriend? Puro ka kotse at racing."

Nico blushes even more and remains silent, taking a sip from her drink and feeling grateful that the waiter chose that moment to bring in their food.

Ever since she was a young kiddo, she has always had this fascination with cars. Especially the ones that run really fast. When most of her playmates were playing with dolls and toy kitchen wares - she was out with her dad, tinkering with the engine of their then old Toyota that her father built. And when she was big enough to reach the pedals of the car, she pestered her dad to teach her how to drive. She was only twelve then.

Now at twenty-two, she's hailed as the fastest street racer in their small hometown in Bulacan. No one even comes close to her time trials in their home course. And those that challenge her? Well, they all end up going home in tears after eating her dust. She's that fast.

Janeeka raises a brow at her when Nico remained silent. She takes a fry from her plate and playfully throws it at her friend.

"Oi!" Nico protests. "Neeks, ano ba??"

"Anong ano ba? 'Yung tanong ko, sagutin mo!"

Nico feigns innocence. "Anong tanong?"

"Gaga!" Janeeka giggles. "Seryoso kasi. Boyfriend, Nico? How in the world will you—"

"I'm not really looking for one, you know this, Neeks," Nico replies quietly. "And kung maghahanap man ako, dapat racer din siya. Dapat naka-GT-R din siya at dapat mas mabilis siya sa 'kin. I'm not even going to take a second look kung hindi niya ako kayang talunin."

Janeeka shakes her head. "At that rate, you're never going to find someone then. Naka-GT-R talaga? Tapos kailangan kang matalo? Good luck naman sa kanya, 'di ba? Kasi wala pa 'atang nag-e-exist na lalaking pwedeng makatalo sa 'yo. Lahat ng tropa natin dito tinry na nilang karerahin ka. At wala. Walang nangyari. Walang nakahabol sa'yo."