Unexpectedly Waiting

"Did you mean it?" she whispered as she leaned her head on his shoulder, her arms encircling his as she cuddled closer. They were in his van, with her having just transferred a couple of blocks away after packing up for their show.

"Mean what?" he whispered in reply just as he turned his head and planted a soft kiss on her forehead, taking her hand and holding it firmly in his.

"About waiting," she answered softly, this time turning her head and kissing his cheek. "Did you mean it?"

"Of course, mahal," he smiled his bedimpled grin as he took her chin gently in his hand and leaned down to plant a soft kiss on her lips. "Ikaw na lang naman talaga ang hinihintay ko, eh. Alam mo 'yun."

"Pero gusto ko nga kasi ng mas malaki pa sanang ipon. Tsaka si Tatay..."

"Ay nasabihan ko na," he cut her off, smirking when she sat up straighter and looked at him with wide eyes. "I asked for your hand already, mahal. He gave me his blessing. Si Nanay nga umiyak pa. And 'wag kang maingay pero kahit si Tatay at si Dad, naiyak din."

"Pero kailan--?"

"Just last week. When you were out with your friends for Lany. It was all part of the plan."

"But you said--"

He then took her hand and kissed the back of it, looking at her sincerely as he smiled and held her hand tightly. With nary another word, as he continued to stare at her, inside the stillness of his van - he took out a velvet box from his pocket, that he had been holding on to for quite some time, and she gasped as he tried to kneel in front of her inside the cramped space that they were in.

"No grand gestures, Meng. Because you made me promise not to do so. And alam kong gusto mo pang mag-ipon. Pero naisip ko - bakit ba hindi mo na lang gawin 'yun ng kasama ako? Magtulungan tayo, ganon. Kaya here I am, wala sa plano as always - pero 'yun naman talaga tayo 'di ba? Tayong dalawa - laging wala sa plano. Pero apparently, Diyos ang may malaking plano para sa 'tin."

He then took a deep breath before opening the black velvet box and showing her what was inside. At this point, she was smiling and crying at the same time, her hands on her mouth as she tried not to hit him especially when he grinned a bit cheekily, even with tears slowly forming in his eyes.

"This is Mama's ring. She said that I should give it to the one who would turn my world upside down, the way Dad did with hers. That's you for me, Meng. Hindi lang upside-down. You actually righted my whole world. It made sense again when God granted me the opportunity to meet you. Kaya... Nicomaine Dei Capili Mendoza..."

This time, with bated breath - it was her who waited.

"Will you marry me? Please?"

She didn't really voice out her answer. Rather, she chose to show it through her actions by pulling him up to her and kissing him hard on his lips. He wrapped his arms around her just as she opened his mouth with hers, her tongue tasting his sweet essence.

After a few seconds of this, she pulled back and lightly wiped the tears that fell on his cheeks, both of them laughing at the slight silliness they found themselves in. She then took the ring from him, removing it from the box and promptly wearing it after removing the other promise ring that he gave her during her birthday two years back and placing that on her other hand.

She turned towards him and with her hand outstretched showing off her new ring, she whispered, "I love you, RJ. And if that kiss wasn't clear to you - the answer is yes."

He laughed loudly and gathered her in his arms, kissing the top of her head as they basked in the glow of the love they have and will forever have for each other.