Hustle | Chapter 12

Start from the beginning

I'm so fucked.

She tightened her jaw.

Stop whining. I've just gotta get out of here, and it'll be okay.

She scooped up some more water and took a sip out of her palm, freezing in place when she saw a long green snake slide into the water from the opposite bank. She spat out the water and jumped back from the lake. The body of the snake was thick and long. She didn't want to stick around to find out if it was harmless or not.

She glanced up at the sun, trying to fathom where she was, but it wasn't giving her any clues.

Okay, think, think. I know the marina is two miles west of the beach.

She glanced back at the broken shrubs behind her.

And that's the direction of the beach. I just need to know where west is.

She fought the aches and pains of her body to try to think straight. The urge to sit down and just rest was growing stronger with every moment she remained near the lake.

I need to figure out where I am.

She paused for a moment, frowning before widening her eyes.

I may not have Google Maps, but I do have a compass!

She pulled the key out of her pocket, peering at it. The dial wasn't moving. She held it out in her palm and turned around, but nothing changed.

Maybe the water damaged it.

She closed her eyes and exhaled slowly.

Come on. Please work.

She flipped the lever, and the compass opened up. She stared down at the dial in the center of the mechanism. It swung as she turned on the spot.

Yes!

She turned to face the way she had come. The 'N' pointed to her left. She turned to face north. West was in the opposite direction she had come from.

I've been going the right way. I think...

She faced west and hurried past the lake.

It's gotta lead to the marina, or I'm dead.

She brushed large fronds of tropical wilderness out of her way as she hurried through the trees. Loud screeches and the sounds of the jungle caused her to jump. Whatever lived in here was noisy and probably dangerous. Her heart pounded as she pushed her way through the thick foliage, forcing one foot in front of the other until the trees began to thin.

She broke into a run when she saw a roadside ahead. She scrambled up the hill to reach it.

Civilization!

The road was a dusty highway that was devoid of traffic, but it was a road.

She hurried down it, dragging her feet as her body weakened. The sun burned down onto her shoulders and back. She ignored the throbbing pain in her shoulder and her aching muscles, forcing herself to keep walking down the seemingly endless road.

When a cool breeze brushed over her burning skin, she peered at the side of the road through blurry vision. The jungle had cleared away, tapering off to a shoreline. She stared ahead, her eyes widening. It could have been a mirage for all she knew, but it looked like a marina.

This has to be it.

The sun had begun to sink into the hills on the horizon, and night was swiftly coming. She forced each step to get to the marina, only the stinging in her arm keeping her conscious.

Pain is good. It means you're still alive.

A dull ache in her chest reminded her that being shot wasn't the only way she could be damaged. She didn't know what she'd thought Jacob was, but a cold-blooded killer wasn't it.

I'm such a fool. I was flirting with him, playing around while he was planning on killing me all along. Why didn't I see it? How could I be so stupid?

She'd trusted him to be decent. She shook her head.

I should have known better. Dad always told me I should never trust anyone.

"People don't do the right thing, girl. They do what they can get away with."

Her father hadn't been a great humanitarian, but he'd known people, often better than they knew themselves. In England, Jacob may be a decent guy. But out here, there were no rules. Out here, he was a monster.

She exhaled slowly when she saw a large blue and white sign for the Isla Marina. She scanned the dark lot, seeing a short pier with a few boats moored to it. The pier was behind a six-foot fence that surrounded the marina. She scanned the boats as dusk shadowed them. A small cabin cruiser was the boat closest to the fence. It was called the Celeste.

She smiled. At least Jimmy hadn't let her down. That was her boat. He'd told her the keys would be in the ignition.

All I need to do is get onto that boat.

She stumbled down the short hill towards the fence. She tripped when her foot caught on a jutting rock, causing her tumble down the incline. She landed in a heap at the railing and groaned.

She pushed herself up onto all fours and then used the fence to pull herself up to standing.

Just one more hurdle....

She gripped the fence and pulled herself up, using energy she didn't think she had to climb over the fence into the marina. She managed to get to the top of the six-foot fence, but her vision blurred again. Her head swam as she reached the top, and she toppled over the other side, landing on the hard gravel below.

She rubbed the back of her head. She could barely focus on the Celeste. She saw three of them where there had once been one.

She shook her head, and the boat came into focus.

Get up and get on the boat.

She tried to command her body, but it was weak and refused to move.

Come on. Get up and sort your shit out. You just gonna lay here and die?

Although the idea of just lying there was appealing, she pushed herself up off the ground, ignoring the aches and pains.

She gritted her teeth and staggered towards the boat. She climbed over the rail. Her leg caught on it, and she fell onto the deck of the small craft, knocking her head against the cabin. The world became hazy from one fall too many. The last thing she saw was the deck as her face headed towards it.