XXXI

"Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own."
—Robert A. Heinlein

|•|•|•|

"Joker?" Ember called, navigating her way through the familiar floor plan in search of the painted-face man.

Her fingers grazed the doorknob of the front door, lanky digits lacing around the cool metal as she effortlessly twisted. She let out a sigh of relief at the cool Gotham air, which enveloped her with ease as she stumbled from the building, dancing along the deeply cracked concrete.

The surrounding trees swayed elegantly in the wind, her coffee-hued eyes scanning the abandoned front yard, littered with fallen leaves and chopped logs.

Her stare finally settled upon the man she so helplessly loved, walking with a slight skip in his step as he approached the building. The gaudy greasepaint was absent, displaying those darling bare features of his as a hearty smile tugged at his scars.

Ember's brows furrowed in confusion at the sudden sight of a set of petite legs resting on Joker's shoulders, tiny fingers buried into the loose strands of his faded curls as his hands cupped onto the tiny thighs.

A female toddler, no more than two years of age, sat perched up on Joker's shoulders, giggling wildly as the theatrical man spun in expeditious circles, his chuckles matching hers in intensity as she gripped tightly onto the hair atop his head.

She was, quite possibly, the most beautiful baby Ember had ever seen. Her hair was fine and blonde, inching past her jaw and curling slightly at the ends. Her eyes—from what Ember could see at this distance—mimicked the color of dark chocolate. The childs lips curled into a grin, dimples appearing on either cheek as Joker ran in zig-zags, bending his knees as he did so to emit intense laughter from the child.

He suddenly approached a rather stunned Ember, chest heaving slightly as his lips met hers with ease.

The kiss was short lived, nothing but a simple peck as heavy pants tumbled from his parted lips. His hands traveled to the childs sides, lifting her from his neck as he placed her gently onto the uneven ground.

"Hey baby." Joker purred, his fingers lacing with the little girls as she exchanged excited glances between the two of them.

"Say hi to Mommy, Rhiannon." Joker pressed, his gaze locking on the childs as Ember's blood ran cold.

Mommy? Rhiannon?

"Hi, Mommy." The little girl, apparently named Rhiannon, greeted.

"H-Hi." Ember stammered, clearing her throat obnoxiously when the words failed to come out.

"Go again, Daddy! Go again!" Little Rhiannon chanted, tugging on the mans arm as merely chuckled in response.

"Later, doll."

Joker's stare returned to Ember, raising a perplexed brow at her puzzled expression. His hand darted outward to cup Ember's belly, startling her slightly.

Her eyes followed his gesture, immediately widening when she noticed the apparent bump underneath her shirt.

What the fuck is that?