nineteen

As the months went by and by Alexander grew more and more worried about his best friend, still fighting in the war, John Laurens.

Alex would write to him almost everyday, hoping that one day, John would write back. Hearing from him would calm his nerves.

But.

The letters gradually, and slowly, stopped arriving, much to Alexanders dismay.

The concern grew in Alexander like an untamable beast.

He grew paranoid, anxious, and a bit angry at the lack of letters, the lack of communication.

Why hasn't he heard from him?

_______

Eliza was coming home one day as the mail truck just left. She smiled and walked to the mailbox, grabbing the mail before she walked inside.

As she walked through the door, she flipped through the mail, looking for anything with her name on it.

Today, there wasn't any letters for her. The mail was only for Alexander or just simply junk mail.

One letter struck Eliza, seeing the name on the envelope.

She took a deep breath and entered Philip's room, where he and Alexander were.

Philip was fast asleep, and Alex was looking over him.

_____

"Alexander, there's a letter for you." Eliza spoke softly.

"It's probably from one of the boys, Laurens, maybe. I'll read it later."

Eliza shook her head "no, it's from Johns father."

Alexander turned around and looked at Eliza. "Will you read it to me?"

______

"On Tuesday the 27th, my son was killed in a gunfight against British troops retreating from South Carolina. The war was already over. As you know, John dreamed of  recruiting 3000 men for the first gang troubled military regiment. His dream of freedom for these men dies with him."

Alexander felt his heart stop and break into a million pieces.

His best friend was dead. Gone. Never coming back.

He held his head low and cried softly.

"Alexander? Are you alright?" Eliza asked, grabbing his hand.

"I have so much work to do." Alex said and rushed off.

_______

*I changed the letter a bit, I had to make it work*