eighteen

Alexander was lucky; he was back home in a matter of 10 and 1/2 months. The rest of his friends? Not so much. The rest, including Washington, were still fighting in the war.

_____

Alexander arrived home, to his and Eliza's apartment a month after his sons first birthday.

Philip was one, and beginning to vocalize.

As Alexander walked into the apartment, he was met with his son crawling up to him, and Eliza following closely behind.

She was unaware that Alexander was home already.

Alex smiled as the boy came to him, he bent down and picked him up.

"Oh how I've kissed you!" Alex said and kissed his sons head.

_____

Eliza looked up and couldn't believe her eyes; he was home.

"Alexander!" Eliza said, hugging her boyfriend tightly. "You're home! You're home!" She exclaimed.

Alex smiled and hugged his girl. He missed her warm embrace.

As the two held onto each other a little while longer, little Philip started to form a word.

"D-d-" he began to say; Eliza looked at him.

"Philip, this is daddy. Can you say daddy?"

Philip giggled and clapped "dadda!" He said, grabbing at Alexanders face.

Alexander smiled proudly and looked from his son to Eliza and back to Philip.

"Is that his first word?" Alex asked, tears of happiness forming in his eyes.

Eliza nodded and smiled "his first word."

____

Eliza was just walking back into the living room after putting Philip down for a nap, when she didn't see Alexander.

She looked around the apartment for him, softly calling out his name.

"Alex?" She said as she looked.

And there he was.

Down on one knee, a small box with a ring, in hand.

"Elizabeth Schuyler, from the moment we met, I knew I wanted to be with you forever, until the end of time. I want that even more now that we have our beautiful son. I know sometimes I work too much, but I do it for you. What I'm trying to say, is, will you marry me?"

Eliza gasped and put her hand over her mouth, she couldn't believe it.

"Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes." Eliza said, nodding, tears coming from her eyes.

Alexander smiled and slipped the ring on her finger, kissing her softly.

It wasn't just tears of happiness coming from the engagement though.

____

Alexander was finally able to get Eliza to calm down and stop crying after about an hour.

"Baby, baby, what is it?" He asked carefully.

Eliza wiped her eyes and took a deep breath.

"When you came home on leave, stuff happened, and and I didn't think of it at first, but-"

Alexander rubbed her back "you're pregnant, aren't you?"

Eliza nodded and buried her head into his chest.

"It'll be okay. It'll be okay." Was all Alex could say.