Conversation 22

KEY:
Allison
Carmen

Home. It seemed like a dream to Carmen. For days in and days out, doctors drifted in and out, doing tests, giving her smiles that she couldn't understand, giving her food. Her parents sat in the chairs next to her bed, holding her, touching her, crying, smiling.

Carmen couldn't take it anymore. She wanted to go home. She wanted everything to go back to normal.

"Where's Miles?" Carmen asked, finally able to have enough strength to eat by herself.

"He had to go back to university, baby. He had a bunch of assignments to submit and exams around the corner. He wanted to stay, but we had to make him go."

Carmen nodded. It's not like the world suddenly revolves around me, she thought

Allison was one of the many thoughts that occupied her mind. She knew Allison was probably stressed about school like usual, worried about everyone and everything, complaining about everyone and everything . . .

"How's Allison?"

"Oh, my, that girl. She came to visit you almost every day, whatever chance she got; after school, a few minutes at night, popping in and out during the weekends."

Came every day. Why past tense?

"But how is she?"

"Well, she's normal, you know, if you disregard her constant worrying about you and all of that." Mum looked off, but Carmen didn't mention it.

"When can I leave?"

"Go home? Just a few more days, Carmen, just a few more days."

• • •

hwy carrmwn
Sent at 2:56am
Delivered

i hhsd noi choicee
Sent at 2:56am
Delivered

im soeery
Sent at 2:56am
Delivered

im soeerySent at 2:56amDelivered