Chapter 7: Nightmare

"You do understand that you must sacrifice, love, for the sake of your mommy. That's your purpose..."

Heavy footsteps, followed by the eerie sound of heavy chains being dragged on a concrete floor, woke her up in an instant.

She was exceedingly afraid for her dear, young life. She wanted to scream, but with her mouth duct-taped and feet chained, it was just impossible for her to do anything but shake in terror.

"We all play different roles, love. You, unfortunately, need to suffer and die to save your mommy's damned soul."

It wasn't the first time he had told her that, but he never really did it—kill her. It was as if he was waiting for something. Or perhaps, for someone. And while waiting, he made himself busy by torturing her small body until she would pass out from the excruciating pain.

"He's almost ready for you. But don't worry, you will still make a difference today." He held a leather belt and smiled at her. "We will be productive today, love. I promise you that."

Her little toes curled at the sight of the heavy-duty work belt. Her bruises from the beatings she received days ago had just turned pale green, but the pain still felt like it was just yesterday. She tried to scream, but nothing came out except muffled cries. She crawled off into the corner of the room as the man stepped forward.

"I still have to pick up some groceries, love. Let's get this over with." The man reached for her and casually peeled off the duct tape off her swollen lips.

"Please...please...no more...please..." She finally found her voice, small and raspy from screaming, and wasted no time to beg, hot tears streaming down her filthy cheeks.

"Calm down, love. I thought you already understood the point of all this. Come on. Don't beg. This has to be done."

"Please...nooo...."

As soon as she felt the buckle bit her back, she knew there was nothing else she could do but endure the torture and hope for her mind to shut down and release her from feeling every bit of pain that she was bound to suffer.

"You will soon understand, love. Soon," the man said, hitting her once again.

"Arghhh!"

"Stop! Please!" Una woke up screaming in her bed. Her heart was pounding in her chest. She had to lean back against the headboard and catch her breath. Her hands were still shaking. She could still see the leather belt in her mind and feel its painful weight against the skin on her back like it just happened yesterday.

She sniffed and cupped her damp cheeks.

The nightmare wasn't something new to Una. For the past years, it had come every so often. It was something she knew would never completely go away. It was a part of her that she could never entirely get rid of no matter how much she and Dr. Larson work hard to make her forget and move on. But somehow, they did make some progress. Little progress but still.

What changed?

The floor felt cold under her feet as she got up from her bed a moment later. She swallowed hard. Her throat felt dry. She needed to drink a glass of water to calm her nerves and hopefully be able to go back to sleep.

Quietly, she pulled her door open and stepped out into the hall. She made her way down and relaxed when she saw a stream of light peeking through the door from the kitchen. Her new tenant had been very compliant so far.

The house was still, and the only sound Una could hear was the beating of her heart. When she was just about to reach the door to the kitchen, she stopped when she heard a rough scrubbing noise inside. Seconds later, she heard it again. With her new tenant in mind probably looking for something to eat, she swung the door open.