Chapter 24 : Stares And Backbites.

He told it.

He told it all. Along with another short speech of how he loved me that I didn't even pay attention to. My hand was glued to his and everyone's eyes were trained on them.

I can feel the intense stares the girls were giving me. And it was just then that I realized that Raina wasn't here. I thought she was here but apparently she wasn't.

'Is this a joke?', a young man yelled,'You're engaged to Her highness, Raina'

'Not any more', Edward replied to the direction of the voice; unsure of who told it. But I knew who. The young man grunted in reply and looked at me scornfully.

'Oh son! This is great news!', Anastasia complimented; ignoring the stares and backbites which had been throwing my way ever since Edward snaked his arm around my petite waist.

They knew then, that something was going between us. Some spark. Something that should have been directed to Raina.

Raina.

I feel sorry for her. I could only imagine what it's like to get the love of your life ripped away from you. Oh wait, she didn't love him. But I do. I do. I certainly and will do for the rest of my pathetic life. Royal or plain, Edward was a good person. Well, mostly when you reach the inside.

Otherwise he could beat your ass through a malicious smile and simple words.

But, I still love him.

I finally unfreeze when Anastasia adorned her hands around my neck as she pulled me in to a tight embrace.

'Mum, you're squashing her', Edward blurted.

'Oh sorry', she let go and gave me a graceful, yet, in a way, clumsy smile,'So proud of you both!'

'Me too', Rupert said as he came behind his wife and placed a hand on Edward's shoulder,'You chose right'

'I always do', Edward's eyes sparkled.

The rest of the evening was spent on people congratulating me and paparazzi swarming over me. It was like a tsunami of questions washed over me.

'What is your favorite hobby?'

'What did you eat for breakfast?'

'Do you wax or do you shave?'

Yeah, that kind of questions. And there was certainly an amount of people who glared at me and Edward and who talked behind purses and perfect manicured hands. Talking behind our back.

Some didn't approve but some did. That's just life I guess.

I ignored them and continued to smile at the people who approved of us. Me and Edward danced the night away till everyone felt too tired to stay any longer.

They bid their farewells and left without a second word. The music stopped abruptly and Oliver started to yawn repeatedly.

Derick had been slumping at a corner ever since the night started. I only saw glimpses of him as he was covered by the busy crowd earlier.

But now I saw him clearly. His shoulders were thrown forward in some awkward position as he sat on the armchair that was set near the fireplace.