Chapter 12

Noodle woke up on the couch; the lights were off, except for the small nightlight in the kitchen, it was chilly, and the faint sound of crying coming from upstairs. Noodle closed her eyes and rested her head on her arm, but her eyes quickly shot open. Why could she hear someone crying? The house was haunted, but she thought that had been taken care of. She sat up and listened again.

"Sounds like a man." Noodle thought.

Noodle got up and crept up the stairs, making sure they didn't squeak. She reached the top and listened once more. The crying was coming from-

"Murdoc's room?" Noodle whispered to herself.

She put her ear up to the door, listening. She couldn't tell what was going on. She knocked on the door quietly.

"What?!" A voice on the other side said.

"Murdoc, are you okay?" Noodle said in a loud whisper so she didn't wake 2-D and Russel.

"Go away, I'm fine!" Murdoc sobbed.

"No you're not! I heard you crying from downstairs. May I talk to you?"

"No!"

"Why not?"

There was a short silence. No one spoke for a moment.

"Well?"

"Just go back to sleep, Noodle." Murdoc sniffled. "I'm fine."

"Is it about Russel or 2-D?" Noodle asked.

"T- 2-D?"

"Did 2-D do anything to you?"

The door opened a crack and a sad Murdoc peeked through. "No, but did 2-D tell you anything I don't know?"

"Hu?"

He opened the door a little wider. "What I mean is... Has 2-D been hiding any feelings at all?"

Noodle's eyes widened a little. "As in... Feelings for another?"

"Yea." Murdoc nodded.

"Yes, actually, and you might not like it."

Murdoc looked at Noodle with more sadness. "So... He likes me or Russel, or.."

"Um..." Noodle tried saying it, but she'd know it'd make Murdoc more depressed than he already was.

"Who...?"

"Russel...?"

Murdoc looked blankly at the wall behind Noodle. A few tears streamed down his face as he walked over to Russel's door.

"Murdoc, what are you doing?" Noodle asked, worried.

Murdoc didn't answer and calmly, but quietly, knocked on the bedroom door. There was no answer, making Murdoc worried. He was about to knock again, a little louder this time, but heard someone's voice.

"2-D...?" Murdoc mouthed.

He put his ear to the door and heard 2-D and Russel talking.

"D, c'mon, you know I can't date you." Russel said.

"I know." 2-D sniffled.

"Murdoc's already depressed because he thought you felt awkward around us earlier. If I dated you behind his back, he'd become more depressed."

2-D nodded and wiped some tears off his face.

Murdoc looked at Noodle. "He's talking to 2-D."

Just then, a sad 2-D opened the door. He nervously blushed at seeing Murdoc, but said nothing and went downstairs to get some water. Russel noticed Murdoc standing at the door and patted the spot next to him on his bed. He smiled reassuringly.

"Murdoc, please?" Russel asked.

Murdoc walked in and sat down. Russel noticed that he was still crying a bit. He wiped the tears of his face and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"I'll always love you, man." He said.

"Me too." Murdoc replied, not wanting to look at Russel.

"You... You must've heard me talking with 2-D. He wanted to date me, and I had to tell him no. Luckily, he was pretty calm about it, except for the crying. I ain't gonna judge him, though. He expressed his feelings to me in a natural way, too."

Murdoc looked at Russel.

"If only Del were here. Ghost or not, they'd probably date."

Murdoc chuckled and held Russel's hand. "Yeah. I think he'd like it."

Russel smiled and hugged Murdoc.