Chapter 10 - Get Hitched

Vittori's POV

Two Months Later

Kiri has been acting rather strangely for the past few months. Ever since we returned from Noble Michel, she has been smiling more often and getting slightly distracted while doing her work. She gets it done, but it takes her about ten to twenty minutes longer. It wasn't until I noticed her slight pause when I mentioned the six kingdoms possibly visiting that I pieced things together. Soon after this incident, I called my bodyguards.

"Men," I said to them as they entered the room.

"Yes, sir," Katsuragi answers as his men stand in front of me.

"I'm concerned about Kiri," I state plainly. Maybe one of them has taken account of her strange behavior as well.

"Sir?" Kaiji's face screws up in concern. Perhaps they don't know?

"Have you noticed she's been acting peculiar lately?" I remain calm as I ask them, searching each face for the slightest recognition of what I am talking about.

"Peculiar, sir?" Subaru looks almost as confused as Kaiji.

"Getting distracted easily, smiling at her phone, drawing rings and wedding dresses in her notebook when she thinks no one is looking," I list a few examples, but none of the bodyguards seems to know what I'm talking about. "Well, does anyone have any information about this?"

"She's in love," Mizuki hums.

"With who?" I burst out. It seems I just got my little girl back, and now someone's taking her away from me. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

"We'll find out, sir," Subaru answers me.

"Find out what you can." I stand from my chair and go to the window to look out at the world.

The bodyguards left, and I found myself contemplating the future. Kiri was only twenty years old, so it was possible she could marry the man she's in love with. But what if he breaks her heart? Has she ever dated before? What if this man has the wrong intentions? All these questions ran through my head, and I couldn't stop thinking about it.

As it so happened, I wouldn't be kept in the dark for long. A week after I had asked the bodyguards to look after Kiri, she surprised me at dinner.

"Father," she began taking a bite of her roast chicken.

"Yes, Kiri?"

"I think that you should know I'm in love with Zain Tolstoy, the head steward of Noble Michel, and the new bill could use some revisions in the section about the application of the amendments."

"That's a good- wait, what?" I almost wasn't sure I heard her correctly.

"The bill needs-"

"No, what was the first part you said?" I cut her off, trying to comprehend what she was telling me.

"I'm in love with Zain."

Zain's POV

2 Weeks Later

I'm standing in the prime minister's office. When I first met him several months ago, I didn't feel half as intimidated as I do now. This man has the power to take Kiri away from me, and I can't let that happen.

"Sit down," Vittori gestures to the chair in front of his desk and offers me a drink.

"Thank you, sir," I say as I accept the drink.

"So, I hear my daughter fancies you," his eyes narrow and I'm unable to respond. "Do you feel the same way?"

"Yes, sir! I love your daughter with all my heart." I make my plea as calmly as possible.