Chapter 4 - The Ball

Kiri's POV

The Night of the Ball (Day after Prime Minister Arrived)

I would like to begin by saying that I did nothing wrong. At least, I don't think I did. Ok, maybe I did do something wrong, but I don't know what I did and therefore am not guilty of doing it on purpose. Maybe that isn't an excuse, but I swear I'm innocent.

I'm sure you're wondering why I'm proclaiming my innocence. Well, it all started a few days ago when Keith and Wilfred decided to play rock, paper, scissors...

-Flashback-

"Rock, paper, scissors," the princes both said before throwing their fists for 'rock.' They tied twice before I noticed a get well card and a single red rose on my night stand. Picking up the card, I read the note:

Dear Kiri,

I am sorry I was not there to welcome you home from the hospital. An urgent matter has come up, and I was needed back in Dres Van. Before leaving, I was unable to ask you formally to accompany me to the ball next week. Your acceptance would be a great benefit to my country and myself. I shall expect a reply soon. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Joshua Lieben

The card was dated at the bottom. I lowered the note and looked at the princes who were still trying to play a game. Before I got sick, all the princes asked me at the same time. Now, by technicality, Joshua's note came before this game that Wilfred and Keith were playing.

"Um, guys," I said as they turned to me, "actually, I can't go with either of you. Joshua asked me first."

-End of Flashback-

And now I'm at the ball. Or I was a few minutes ago... But before I tell you about that, I should probably explain why I was arrested...

You see, it started yesterday at tea time. Lately, Zain's been cutting my hours (I'm not sure if he's trying to help me by letting me study or punish me for sleeping in the library), but I needed more money so I was eager for more work.  That's why when Zain asked me to help him and the butlers serve tea to the royal families and Prime Minister Vittori, I didn't argue. Of course, that's when it all started to go wrong.

All I did was walk into the room pushing a cart with mini cakes and macaroons. I heard the sound of a teacup smashing on the floor and a gasp. When I looked up, my eyes met with the prime minister's. His hands were shaking so much he had dropped his cup. 

I moved to his side and knelt to clean the shattered china. "Don't worry. It happens all the time," I offered him a small smile and resumed picking the pieces up. I had just about finished when I heard his voice. 

"Valarie?" Minister Vittori whispered, voice shaking as he stared at me. My blood ran cold. Why did he call me by my mother's name? For a moment, I couldn't breathe.

"My name is Kiri, sir. I am sorry if I have caused any offense." I bowed my head. Vittori sighed and rubbed his eyes.

"I must apologize," Vittori spoke softly. His voice sounded tired, and he looked shaken. "You look like...someone I knew once a long time ago." That's when I remembered we were in a room full of people (not that they really noticed our exchange). Zain went to fetch another cup and the other butlers began serving the cakes from the cart. 

I excused myself from the room to dispose of the broken china. What I didn't realize was how tightly I was grasping it. That encounter with the prime minister really shook me to my core. I've served several high profile guests that have stayed at Noble Michel, but never have I felt so chilled to the bone before.