Chapter 3 - Fated Meeting

Kiri's POV

The Next Morning

The first thing I notice is the low-pitched and incessant beeping. It couldn't have been my alarm clock, but I didn't really care. I just wanted to go back to sleep. When I tried to lift my arm, I felt a searing pain. My eyes shot open, and I noticed for the first time that I was in a hospital. Great.

I sat up in bed and stared at the IV in my arm. I've always hated hospitals. Not to mention that I really can't afford to be here right now. Just as I was about to ring for a nurse to remove the IV, a doctor came in.

"Miss! You really shouldn't be sitting up!" He walked to me, chart in hand. I sat back as he checked to make sure I was fully recovered. When he was finished, he proceeded to explain to me that I was safe or something. Honestly, I tuned him out. After about five minutes of him talking, an unexpected visitor entered.

"Wills!" I shouted. I don't think I've ever been happier to see him. He's kinda like my knight in shining armor. Always has been. He has this superpower to know when I'm in some kind of uncomfortable situation. In fact, he was there the day my mom died, and he held me all night as I cried. I still feel bad for ruining his shirt, and he never let me pay for a new one.

"Kiri," he gives a small smile. "I'm here to take you home. After you're discharged that is." He sat down in one of the visitor's chairs.

"I'll be sending in the nurse with discharge papers shortly." The doctor left swiftly, and I found myself able to relax a little.

I turned to Wilfred. "What happened yesterday?"

"You ate blackberry jam and had a reaction." He answered simply, his large blue eyes searching my face. "Why were you eating blackberries? You're allergic."

"I am?" This was news to me. As far as I know, I've never eaten blackberries before in my life. "I was just eating my breakfast. I've had the same breakfast every morning for the past fifteen years: sunny side up eggs with crispy bacon and toast with grape jelly. I didn't know I was eating blackberries. Although, now that I think about it, the jelly tasted funny." I shrugged. Honestly, I don't have the time or the patience to be sick right now. I feel fine, so I should get out of here as soon as I can.

Wilfred nodded. "Are you ready to go home?"

Mizuki's POV

The plane Kaiji and I were on landed in Charles early in the morning. We rented a car and found our way to Noble Michel Castle. When we got to the gate, we identified ourselves for the guards. They let us in, and we were greeted by a man named Zain. He looked like a cat with large eyes: ready for anything yet relaxed. I could imagine him calmly relaxing by the fire on a rug with some yarn.

"We're here to see Miss Dubois," Kaiji says, breaking me out of my thoughts for a moment.

"She's not here at the moment. May I ask why Prime Minister Vittori's bodyguards have an interest in Miss Dubois?" He raised an eyebrow. This would be interesting.

"She's an old friend of mine from San Lorenzo," Kaiji says before I can think of anything. We're technically not allowed to discuss Kiri Dubois' relationship to Damian Vittori, so I'm glad Kaiji came up with something plausible.

"Oh, would you care for some tea?" Zain's expression seemed unreadable, but something told me that he had some less-than-pleasant information about Kiri. I've been told my intuition is good, and I'm usually right.

"Sure," I smiled as I accepted the tea from him. "Now, what's going on with Kiri?"

Zain nodded, letting me know he understood the question. "Yesterday morning she accidentally ingested blackberries. I'm not sure if you know this, but she's severely allergic. She's currently at the hospital, but she'll be discharged this afternoon."