Chapter 6 - My Girl

Roberto's POV

The Next Day

Last night I was casually hiding from Al, my butler. While he was looking for me, he overheard a secret he shouldn't have. Then, after he found me, he told me my best friend, Kiri, is Prime Minister Vittori's daughter! This is crazy! San Lorenzo and Altaria have a treaty now, but knowing that someone so close to me could help strengthen it even more is the best news ever!

The six nations are wanting an alliance with San Lorenzo because it has amazing natural resources. My father is hoping that we can get ahead of the other nations by strengthening our friendship with Prime Minister Vittori, but now I have a secret advantage. My best friend is Vittori's daughter. Now I have an excuse to hang out with her even more!

"Robbie, are you alright? You're staring into space," Kiri asks me.

"Oh, yes," I smile. "I'm just sad I have to leave my bestie!" I make a pouty face and pull out my phone. "Let's take a selfie!!!" She rolls her eyes before coming to sit next to me. We lean in together as I get ready to take the picture. She's so cute; I can't help but kiss her cheek as I snap the selfie.

"Roberto!" She yells in shock.

"Don't we look cute!" I laugh as I show her the photo.

"Yeah," she mutters. "I guess we do." I can see her cheeks turning pink, and I can't help but smile even wider.

Kiri is my best friend, and I really like her. She's been there for me since we were little. My partner in crime. She'd always help me escape from Al so we could play. I take it back. I don't like her; I love her. She's so much more than a friend. She's like my sister.

"Hey, Kiri," I say seriously, hoping my voice doesn't break.

"Yeah?" She says as she stands to pour another cup of tea.

"Would you come back to Altaria with me?" Even though I'm looking directly at her face, I can't tell what she's thinking. Oh no. What if she's in love with somebody else? What if I'm too late and someone else asked? What if she doesn't like me like that?

"Roberto, I have...a lot going on right now. I don't have the time for a vacation." She looks down sadly.

"It's alright. I know," I nod. I don't want to tell her Al overheard all that stuff about her father, but she needs to know that I understand. "Maybe next time." I grin. Hopefully, she can come soon.

"Maybe," she says with a small smile. And just like that, we go back to tea.

Joshua's POV

When Jan told me what he had overheard, I almost choked on my tea.

This was perfect. Not only was I a close friend of Prime Minister Vittori's daughter, but she was my date at the ball. Even better, I could strengthen the alliance through marriage.

I've been thinking about it ever since the ball. She's the only woman I can actually stand. She's sweet, honest, and a hard worker. Not to mention she has a natural grace befitting a queen. If I married her, then maybe I could get Hannah* out of my mind...

I take a deep breath. Every time I think about her, I get the strangest feeling in my chest. I've been assured I'm not allergic to her, but I have weird feelings all the same. Shaking my head, I put thoughts of Hannah aside and focus on the information that had been given to me.

"Jan, I think we should invite Kiri to Dres Van."

Wilfred's POV

The one thing I have learned from being royal all these years is that the castle walls have ears. Not only that, but nothing remains private. If one butler overhears something, they all do. For example, Claude was helping Alberto to locate Prince Roberto yesterday when they stumbled upon a secret.