twenty-nine

Before Ian went manic and joined the army, he already knew what he wanted. He wanted to be the hero. He wanted to be the one running around, caring for everyone he encountered. His initial goal, after all, was to keep this heroic reputation. Though, after his diagnosis, the hero had fallen. He lost touch of reality, and everything he once believed in. His mind had drifted to a darker road; one he never thought he'd encounter. But, then Rosie had come along. He never dreamed of a better enlightenment. The one that could pull him from the depths and convince him to dust off his shoulders and move forward. It may sound original, but there was no better way to describe it.

He was a morning hero. One that bought the disney princess lunch box and filled it with a sandwhich and juice boxes. One that woke up his daughter to start her day, and make sure she presented herself well for school. One that would rush to get to school on time to pick up Rosie.

"Ready?" Ian asked, looking down at the little girl, who nodded, slightly. Ian sighed, knowing she was nervous about the situation. Getting down on one knee to be at eye level, Ian set his backpack on the ground next to him. Reaching inside, he pulled her lunchbox out and handed it to her. "Your lunch."

"I'm scared, daddy," Rosie spoke truthfully, staring at Ian for clarity. He nodded, knowingly.

"I'm gonna be right here when it's over. You gotta do it, Rosie. It's important," Ian said, providing her with the clarity. Rosie reluctantly looked over at the front doors, seeing other children being dropped off, too. Seeing the other moms, and the occasional dads granting their kid luck. Ian noticed her gaze, and wiped hair from her face. "It'll be fun. You're gonna make lots of friends."

"I love you, daddy," Rosie said, before wrapping her arms around Ian's neck to hug him. Ian held her, feeling more nervous than she was.

"I love you, too," Ian nodded, pulling away. Standing back up, Ian put his backpack over his shoudler again. "Go on. Don't be late."

Rosie, without another word, carried her lunchbox and backpack towards the school doors. Carefully, Ian watched her. Ian, being more sensitive than his own daughter, had to resist from crying. She was growing too fast, and kindergarten was proof of that. Soon enough, Ian knew, she would grow into a hormonal teenager that would annoy the hell out of him to no end. A small laugh escaped his lips, thinking of the day. But, she'd be just as beautiful. Just as beautiful as Hayden. Just as beautiful as Mandy.

Adjusting his EMT jacket, Ian wiped his eyes to rid of any visible weakness. His only weakness. Walking away, Ian knew there was nothing to stop her from growing older.

Shortly after, Ian arrived at the station. He greeted his coworkers as usual, and sat at the table in the rec room to review his already stressful morning.

"She's gonna be fine, Ian," Sue said, grinning softly, after noticing him staring at his cell phone again. Of course, Ian made sure Rosie's school knew his number for any and all reasons. Ian looked at his coworker with a slight smile.

"Can't stop thinkin' about her," Ian said, shoving his phone back in his pocket, after making sure his ringtone was on full volume.

"I'm Rosie. What's your name?" Rosie asked, nervously. It had taken her a week before school started to master the art of introductions. Still, she was shy. The boy with dark hair and light eyes almost ignored her, as he tried shoving two lego pieces together.

"Michael," He mumbled, making Rosie nod, ever so slightly. Michael spared her a glance, before quickly looking away. "But everyone calls me Mickey."

Rosie's eyes lit up at the nickname, as her interest in the boy only grew. A smile came to her lips, as she leaned against the table, holding her head up with her hands.

"My daddy's boyfriend's name is Mickey," Rosie stated, though it wasn't true, anymore. Rosie had met Trevor, but was still stuck in the default mindset of Mickey. Though, she never got an explanation as to where he was.

"Cool," Michael stated, before finally being able to connect the two lego's together. A smile came to his lips, as he looked at Rosie. "Watch this."

Michael turned around, looking over the other kids, who were in their own worlds of playing, before hurling the toy bricks at a boy across the room, hitting him right in the head.

"Ow!" The other boy exaggerated, putting a hand to his head, as Mickey laughed; a small laugh. Rosie smiled, not being able to take her mind from Mickey, as she was reminiscing on all the things she remembered from the Milkovich boy she had, and still, adored.

The end.