twenty

Ian had noticed the gas running low, making him wince, slightly. Just as he thought that he may not have a plan, another idea sprung up into his head. He did have a plan, but he needed money, first.

Glancing back at Rosie, as he parked the car in a small town in Illinois, he noticed her sleeping soundly, after not getting much sleep from the night before, considering the radio was turned up high and he was talking his head off about Florida, and anything else coming to mind.

Mickey sat at the table, his knee bouncing in anticipation and worry, as he hung up the phone once again, after Ian didn't pick up. Rubbing his eyes, he, too, didn't get a lot of sleep, either. Yet, he refused to do so, not until he knew exactly where Ian and Rosie were. He liked to think that they were having the time of their lives, but it just wasn't the case. Ian was sick, and Mickey knew that, now. There's nothing fun or enjoyable about it anymore.

After Ian didn't pick up again, Mickey left another message, being, most likely, the thirteenth message he'd leave.

"Listen, I'm starting starting to get fucking homicidal." Mickey said, angrily, thinking of either Ian or Rosie in any sort of danger. "Call me the fuck back, Ian." Mickey instructed, for the last time. "I'm worried about you. I love you."

Rosie woke up, squinting her eyes to protect them from the blinding sunlight. Heat struck her immediately, as sweat was prominent all over her small body. Breathing in the warm air, she, first, noticed that nobody was in the front seat, driving. Not Ian. Not Mickey. Not even Lip, or Fiona. It wasn't until she looked over at the window, to see two men in blue uniforms trying to pry open the door and window in any way they could. Immediately, Rosie scooted away, her breaths becoming hitched as fear overcame her.

It was seconds later, after Rosie started to break down into tears as the two men and the heat were pressuring her, that Ian finally rushed back over to the locked car, parked in the sun on a hot day.

"Hey, what the hell are you doing?!" Ian asked, glaring at the men in uniforms and the elderly lady standing nearby.

"Is this your car, sir?" One of the men asked, as Ian quickly unlocked the door, allowing his crying daughter to crawl towards him. The outside, Rosie noticed, was much cooler than the car.

"You're scaring the shit out of her!" Ian screamed, growling in annoyance as his overprotective side came forth.

"I saw him go over there, get into another car and drive off." The old lady spilled, with a raised voice, pointing to the gay bar just across the street.

"Sir, you can't leave a child in a locked car on a hot day." The other officer reminded him, but Ian just glared back at the lady.

"You called the cops? Are you fucking kidding me, lady?" Ian groaned, trying to to calm Rosie, who's tears only quickened, hearing the arguing go on and on. "You come over here, trying to steal my baby." Ian stated, through the voices of the cops and the lady, with gritted teeth as he approached one of the police officers. "You're the baby thief! The fuck's wrong with you?" Ian spat, slamming the car door shut as Rosie dug her head closer to Ian's chest, as he grew closer to the scary men in uniforms, who tried breaking in. "Who sent you? Did Jesus send you?" Ian asked, going wide eyed as he backed away, slightly.

"Sir, we're just doing our job." Ian noticed the two officers try to circle him, ready to pounce on him and Rosie at any second.

"Did Jesus send you to take my baby? Don't fucking lie to me!" Ian yelled, as Rosie made eye contact with one of the officers.

"Daddy, I don't want to!" Rosie cried, making Ian take off in a sprint, away from the cops, who were now chasing them.

"Help me! Help me!" Ian said, with a weak breath as he ran across the parking lot, towards a small grocery store. "They're trying to steal my baby!" Ian exclaimed, entering the store.

"Daddy, they're coming!" Rosie yelled, seeing the cops follow in, too. Ian seemed out of breath, as he spoke maniacally.

"They're trying to steal her! Help!" Ian yelled, as soon as he found himself in a corner, surrounded by the two officers. Quickly grabbing canned produce from the shelf next to him, he threw the food at the officers, on the verge of breaking down into tears. "Stay away! Stay away!" Ian cried, holding Rosie close to him as he backed up, sliding onto the floor in defeat. "Oh, please! Please, don't take her! Please!"