Chapter 12 - Jealousy

Start from the beginning

"What's that?"

"Okay, so... I don't know how you feel towards me anymore, but there's a few things I need to tell you before you leave tomorrow, if that is what you decide to do."

I pressed my lips together and nodded my head, knowing where this conversation was going and not liking it one bit.

"Okay, well..." he dragged his hand through his blond hair and sighed. "I don't know if you and Leonardo are a thing, but I have really liked you since the day I met you and you pointed a pistol at my dick."

He chuckled awkwardly to himself and then stopped suddenly. "I'm acting like a teenager, forgive me. Look, I'm asking you to stay here with me. I would like to court you." His eyes were bright and full of hope.

Oh no, no, no. He wants to be with me.

I opened my mouth to speak, but he beat me to it.

"I'm not expecting you to live here on this ship. I have treasures enough to support us and treat you like a queen when we get back to Britain. You are the only woman I have cared for since Diana, and I can't just let you slip out of my life without at least trying to convince you of the love I hold for you."

My whole body was trembling. This poor man had just handed me his heart, only for me to crumble it like a clump of dried dirt. But the truth was, there was no other option for me.

I cared for Captain Kelly a lot, and perhaps if I'd have met him before I met Leonardo, then things would have turned out differently. But after what Leonardo and I had shared together back at the cannibal island, I knew that the greatest torture for me now would be to give up on that and the unfading hope that I held, that Leonardo was beginning to fall in love with me.

There was a long pause before I finally answered him. "I'm in love with Leonardo."

The words willingly left my lips for the first time, and it felt good to finally say them, but torturing at the same time because of how it was going to make Kelly feel. "I'm so sorry, but it would be unfair to both of us if I stayed."

He nodded his head, and I could see the grief etched into every line that appeared on his face. "I understand."

***

Later that evening, I woke up suddenly from my snooze to the sound of men yelling and shouting.

I sprung out of bed, my initial thoughts being that we had come under attack again, but as I opened the door to the cabin, I could see the whole crew were just gathered quite excitedly around something on the main deck.

I walked closer, curious of what the big deal was about, and that's when I saw with horror what was going on.

"Back off, Kelly," Leonardo warned.

"That's Captain Kelly to you," he spat. "Don't let the fact that I only have one hand put you off, boy. Go on. Give me your best shot."

"Look, Captain Hook, I don't know what this is about, so just go back to whatever it is you do, and let's both just forget about this. I'll be gone tomorrow anyway."

"She loves you, and you don't deserve her," Kelly continued.

Leonardo seemed to pause at the words, and in that same moment, Kelly's arm swung around, his hand connecting with Leo's jaw.

I cried out, but my scream was drowned out by all the men who cheered on their captain.

Kelly was a big man with a lot of strength, and I didn't want to find out what would happen to Leonardo if Kelly let loose on him.