Chapter 25

Grace purchased a ticket and slipped into the theatre without a blink from anyone. Just another patron arriving to see the performance. She found a seat closer to one side at the rear of the auditorium and sat down to exam the layout.

According to her program, the woman she was after was the lead performer and likely in a dressing room of her own.

A large man came out onto the stage, hands up to silence the audience while he explained the technical problem, assuring all would be well and meanwhile for their entertainment, he introduced her other target, Parker Nevens.

Grace couldn't believe her luck. Both here and both would be backstage at some point, more than likely together. She stood and made her way unobtrusively down the side aisle and through the exit to the hallway leading to the rear stage door.

"Excuse me Miss, this area is restricted to theatre personnel only."

"Oh, I came through the door back there looking for the ladies."

"You have to go back through the main lobby, sorry."

"No, I'm sorry."

The snick of the suppressed Beretta was barely heard and the Grace caught the man as he slumped forward. She jockeyed him behind some scenery boards and pulled a handy tarp over his body. Moving around behind the stage, Grace calmly walked past some of the dancers huddled together, watching Parker's performance. Just past them, three men were putting the cover back on an electric panel and gathering up their tools.

She slipped down the stairs below stage and into the corridor where the dressing rooms were. When she found Desdemona's name on a door, she boldly slipped inside. Empty. Fine, she thought. She'd wait.

******

Parker caught the signal from Frederick and wrapped up his bit with the audience, telling them how great they were and once again about the treat they were about to enjoy. He jogged off to appreciative applause, his face beaming as Des threw her arms around his neck and kissed him.

"Why have I never heard that material, you were great, Parker."

"People laughed when I said I'd be a comedian one day, they aren't laughing now."

She punched him in the arm and hugged him again.

"Places people!" Frederick was still hands on and as he cued the orchestra, the lights dimmed and the first if the performers took the stage.

"Mr. Nevens, we need to talk. I see a great idea for us to make use of your talent in the show."

"I'd be thrilled to listen, and it's Parker. Mr. Nevens was my dad."

"Great. You can stay and watch from back here if you like, or wait in Desdemona's dressing room. Whatever you like."

"Thanks, I'll watch a bit from here."

***********

When the desk Sergeant passed on the message that a cabbie had picked a woman up from a downtown hotel restaurant that matched the description, Holt nearly clicked his heels. The driver had dropped her off at an intersection and then got a call from back in the direction he had just come from. Further down the block he made a U-turn and as he came back he saw the woman walk around the corner and into a small hotel.

Holt spoke to the desk clerk and with a hint of a threat of sanitation inspectors, saw the room Grace had used and found the discarded packaging from hair dye and other makeup articles.

Another canvass of cab companies netted Holt his next big break. A woman fitting the new description was taken to the same theatre where Grace had killed Mickey and the caretaker. He radioed for backup and made his way quickly to the theatre.