Chapter 16

"Cut to the chase, Arthur, what's my position?" Grace tugged at the hem of her skirt and glared across the desk at her lawyer.

"Not good, Grace. My God, you broke the bride's nose and ruined a five thousand dollar gown two hours before the wedding." Arthur Pinchot stroked the side of his narrow head and blew out a long breath.

"I know what I did, Arthur. What I want to know is how to get out of it."
"Okay. Worst case you get charged with assault, sued for emotional distress, pain and suffering as well as financial compensation for the wedding . . . in all aspects." He tapped his pen on the desk in a chaotic rhythm. "That, my dear, would pretty much wipe out your portfolio."

"I'm still waiting to hear why I pay you big dollars, Arthur." Grace tapped her foot, stood up and paced in front of the desk.

"To answer the assault charge we could plead temporary insanity-"

"Insanity!"

"It's a defense called irresistible impulse. Due to ill conceived last minute changes and meddling in your creation of one of the city's high profile social events, the stress became too much and you just snapped . . . an irresistible impulse."

"That would work?"

"It has." He looked away and cleared his throat." As to the financial suit you should be prepared to compensate Grandcastle big time although not nearly as big as he will want. The same parameters from the assault charge apply here. They agreed upon the plans you originally presented at a quoted cost plus extenuating circumstance charges. Those extenuating circumstances added to your stress and mental anguish not to mention a threat to your personal reputation."

"How much is 'big time'?"

"You quoted them twelve thousand dollars for full service planning. On top of that the family spent approximately fifteen thousand for food, drink, cake and their included services. The reception hall, announcements, photographer, gowns, invitations, flowers, transportation, church, etal, you can add another fifteen."

"That's not bad. Forty-two thousand." Grace stopped pacing and held out her arms.

"That's the costs, Grace. They will sue you for hundreds of thousands for destroying their daughter's wedding day!"

She dropped her arms and closed her eyes. "I have a better solution for old man Grandcastle."

"Grace! Not another word. I cannot be a party to anything you say or do in your other career." He dropped his pen on the desk and stood, hoisting his pants and adjusting his jacket. He watched her turn and stroll to the window, hands on hips and fists clenched. "I would hazard a guess at about fifty thousand, Grace, plus of course my own stipend."

"Is that a good estimate, Arthur?"

"I believe it is yes. And I will do my utmost to keep it there or less."

She sighed and picked up her purse from his desk. "Very well, let's see what happens."

"Nothing rash, Grace." He cautioned as she closed the door gently behind her.

******

Mickey sat hunched in front of Lester's desk. After reporting on his activities and expounding on his theory about 'the guy' from Earl's club, Lester had begun a slowly building tirade toward his sister's nephew. It began with Mickey's confessed eavesdropping, moving through his bungled handling of Tabor, his incurring of Grace Purcell's wrath and his ineptitude in securing a manufacturer who made a decent cigar.

"I thought it was what you wanted me to do, Lester. You said you didn't want a connection to Earl."

Lester plodded around from behind his desk and sat on the front, has massive bottom noisily displacing several items. He folded his arms and considered the man he'd been coerced into using as an aide; he refused to call him his nephew..