37| Downward Spiral

It had been a fluke

It had been a fluke. I knew it was too good to be true, and it was. The moment I passed out from exhaustion again, I was assaulted with a barrage of hellish screaming, fire, and images of that horrific Groudon.

I had gotten so used to my Lunar Wing repelling the horrid events of the future my subconscious so viciously twisted that I was not at all prepared to experience them again. It was like not practicing a craft or art for so long that you grew soft from it, catching you completely unawares the next time you had to do it. Or, more fittingly, like a scab being ripped from a wound to bleed anew.

It was no exaggeration that I screamed myself awake. For minutes on end afterwards I laid in the fetal position, my nails digging into my scalp and borderline hyperventilating as Meteor frantically tried to soothe me. I had to bury my face in the one pillow I had to forcibly limit my oxygen intake, saving me from losing conciousness again.

It took far too long for me to calm down. Drowsiness still plagued me, but I had more than enough sleep for now. To make sure I wouldn't drift off again any time soon, I repeatedly splashed ice-cold water on my face, practically drenching myself for the sake of keeping myself awake. I stood over the sink, clinging to the counter for support and gasping raggedly as icy droplets fell from my hair and face.

A-are you okay now? Meteor asked hesitantly.

Yes. I'm fine, I replied as I fought for breath. I leaned against the wall, my hands covering my sopping wet face. I don't remember them being this bad, so it caught me by surprise...

Then it's good that you're awake now, he said, sighing. Seriously, I can't believe they didn't give you your Lunar Wing back! he then exclaimed angrily. I mean, one of them must know what those things do! You wouldn't have had on if you didn't need it! But they gave you your other things, thank Arceus! he seethed sarcastically.

..!

Orbit's presence seethed, a humming growl leaving them in agreement with Meteor.

When I had looked through my bag earlier, I was both disappointed and confused at what I found inside. Of course my Pokémon were gone, but my healing items, PokéNav, strategy notebook, and even the old clothes I'd held onto since my shopping spree in Slateport were still there. It all seemed very random to me.

The absence of the material items that were taken, my Mega Stickpin, badges, and Lunar Wing, greatly confused me as they probably couldn't help me escape if I had them. The needle-like bits on the pin and badges were too short or weak to properly jimmy the cell door's locks, the two vents in the room itself were too high up on the walls for me to reach on top of them being too small for me to fit through, and I hadn't even taken the small camera mounted on the wall into account yet.