22. Tough Decisions

Start from the beginning

"I've been following the case for awhile" I shrug. "I got a tip and I followed it. Simple cop things."

"And this informat?"

"Wants to remain anonymous" I reply. "I hope you can understand."

"I can" he nods. "Most want to stay anonymous because they too are guilty." I begin to grow angry at his assumptions. Maya wasn't anything like Aiden. She was a victim.

"That's not always the case" I argue. "I think to speak in such blanket terms is offensive and wrong. Every person, every situation is unique. Once we start clumping everyone together is when we face issues."

He nods, seeingly pleased by my response. "You're very passionate" he compliments. "Which is why I think you'd make the perfect DEA agent" he says making my eyes widen in shock.

"I'm sorry what?"

Aaron laughs. "I understand this may be a shock but I do hope you consider it" he says seriously. I nod numbly and he smiles as he stands. "Good. I'm glad we had this talk" he says. "Contact me when you have an answer" he says, handing me his card.

"Yes sir" I reply as I rise to shake his hand and wish him a good day. He walks out of my office and I collapse back into my chair in shock. I couldn't believe that happened and more so, I had no idea what I was going to do.

~ 🚔 ~

When I get to the station there seems to be a different vibe, everyone seems in edge and I'm not quite sure why. I just hope that Josh isn't affected. I knock and push open his door to find his chair turned around. "Hey" I call out. He turns around to face me and I see the worry lines already taking over his face. So much for him going unaffected.

"Close the door" he instructs. I do as he asks, leaning against it.

"What's going on?"

"Come here" he says. I move across the floor to stand at the edge of his desk. He rolls his eyes, grabbing my hand and pulling me until I'm in front of him. "How are you?" he asks causing my eyebrows to furrow in confusion.

"You first" I reply as I look down at him. He stands up, pushing me back. He moves his chair and leans against his desk before pulling me against him.

"I got an offer this morning" he says. My head begins to spin.

"An offer?"

"The DEA" he clarifies. I don't know what to say. For the past few weeks I had begun to imagine my life with him. The two of us being cops, working together in our little town. Moving in together once I finished at the academy. Suddenly all of it evaporates into thin air.

"Oh" I reply softly, attempting to take a step backwards.

"No" he insists, tugging my hand and pulling me towards him. "Don't pull away. Talk to me."

I shake my head, averting my gaze. "There's nothing to talk about" I insist.

"Yes there is" he insists. "Maya don't shut down on me."

"Do you wanna take it?" I ask bluntly, bringing my gaze back to meet his.

He sighs, letting one of my hands free to bring it through his hair. "I don't know" he admits.

I nod my head, stepping back from him. "Well you have some things to think about' I snap. "Are we patrolling?"

"Yea" he sighs. I take his answer and without another word I walk out of the office.

~ 🚔 ~

She's being stubborn and she's driving me nuts. I just want to talk to her about this. Taking this job would mean moving, I'd have to work at the divisional office in Albany.  That'd mean moving almost three hours away from Greenwich. I couldn'task Maya to move her life so far away just out of college. "Are you gonna ignore me all day?" I ask as I pull the car into an empty lot.