13. Fighting

"Don't you dare" Riley threatens as Josh's game piece hovers over the path to the long game. I stifle a laugh, watching the staring contest between the two. I'm enjoying watching the exchange but the abrupt sound of my phone ringing catches my attention. Not to mention Josh's. I pull it out of my pocket and my heart drops when I see Aiden's name on the screen.

"I'll be back" I smile politely as Josh glares at me.

"Maya-."

"I'll be right back" I assure him before walking off to Riley's bedroom and answering the call. "Hey babe."

"Hey baby" he replies. "How's my girl today?"

"I'm okay" I reply, thinking of the deep bruises on my body. "What's up?"

"There's a party tomorrow at Justin's house. You up for it?" he asks. My blood runs cold. Justin Adams had a reputation at NYU, he was every stressed student's god. He could give you enough Ritalin to keep you going for days. The last thing I wanted to do was go to a party at a drug dealer's house.

"Um."

"Come on baby. It'll be fun. We won't stay long. I promise." I gnaw my bottom lip and sigh. I knew I had to give in, I couldn't start acting weird.

"Okay" I give in. "Pick me up?"

"Of course baby. See you tomorrow."

"Mhm" I agree before hanging up my phone. I take a deep breath and move towards Riley's door. When I pull it open my breath hitches because Josh is standing there looking angrier than I've ever seen him.

~ 🚔 ~

She's lost it. It's the only explanation. The gorgeous girl has had a mental break. "You cannot be serious."

"I have to go. I can't make him suspicious."

"So what? You're gonna lead him on until he does something awful?"

"Josh" she sighs, running her fingers through her hair. "I need you to-."

"Trust you. I got that. What I need you to do is not get killed" I exclaim causing her eyes to widen in surprise at my outburst. "Do you know what losing you will do to me? To Riley? Your parents?" A smirk pulls at her lips as she steps towards me.

"What will it do to you?" she challenges. Shit. I needed to stop slipping up around her. She was too damn perceptive for her own good.

"I'm not talking about me."

"But you said that it would effect you. Why would it effect you?" she asks, taking another step towards me.

"Because we're friends" I say making her stop dead in her tracks before taking a quick step back.

"Right" she shakes her head. "Friends. Got it" she says, trying to brush past me.

"Maya" I say, catching her wrist. The sudden action takes her by surprise and I quickly realize my mistake. I release her and lock my eyes with hers that have glossed over with unshed tears. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to stop you from leaving" I explain softly.

"The tease comment" she cries. "He calls me a tease. He blames his actions on my clothing choices. And when I try to leave he grabs my wrist and tells me we aren't done with our discussion" she explains as tears run down her face. "You cannot do those things. I know you don't mean them maliciously like he does but in the moment it's hard to distinguish between the two."

I nod in understanding, stepping closer to her. "I'm sorry. I never want you to be scared of me. I would never hurt you" I say softly, caressing her cheek.

"Too late" she whispers making my eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"You broke my heart Josh" she whispers, "I was in love with you" she admits, taking me by surprise. "You had my heart and you shattered it" she shakes her head, pushing me back. "I need some space" she insists. "I'll see you on Monday."

My head is spinning but I somehow manage to nod my head. She gives me a soft smile and leaves the room, leaving me speechless ad stunned.