19. His Shadow

The next day I head into school more than ready to get my morning over. All I wanted to do was spend time with Josh in what little time we had allotted to do so. I'm sitting in my algebra two class doodling in my notebook, drawing cop cars and handcuffs on the pages when my phone buzzes. I discreetly light up it's screen in the bottom left corner of my desk and find a text from Josh.

OFFICER 💙: Got a lead in Sof's case. U might be able to help after all 😊

A smile pulls at my lips as excitement courses through me. In all honesty, as much as I enjoyed the Josh aspect of shadowing, I was actually enjoying the work aspect of it too. Being a cop was so exhilarating and nothing is better than when you solve a case. I'm about to text Josh back when I get another text. This time from Riley.

HONEY 🍯: What r u so smiley about?

MAYA: Work stuff

I look up to find her shaking her head in amusement before she begins typing again.

HONEY 🍯: Work stuff?? Is that code for Josh. OMG DID SOMETHING FINALLY HAPPEN?!?!?!

I gnaw my bottom lip, my fingers hovering over the keypad. Do I really want to tell Riley about the kiss? She is my best friend but she was also really bad at keeping secrets about things that excited her. I sigh, making a split second decision and hoping I wouldn't regret it.

MAYA: We may have kissed

A loud thud breaks me out of my conversation with Riley and I look up to find my best friend scrambling to pick up her phone that she just dropped, presumably in shock. Luckily, Mr. Roberts is practically a million years old and his hearing is going so he doesn't suspect a thing as he continues to drown on and on about functions of x.

HONEY 🍯: OMG OMG OMG!!!! How was it? How did happen? Are you like a thing now??

I chuckle, typing back a response.

MAYA: Ummm it happened kinda weird........there's something else we need to talk about. Something ive kept from you......

HONEY 🍯: Okayyyyy

MAYA: Aiden wasn't just forceful towards me....hes also a drug dealer....and josh and i kinda got the supplier off the streets and now aiden and a lot of other people arent very happy with us

HONEY 🍯: Ummmm okay. I only have one question. WHY WERE U DATING A DRUG DEALER?!??!

MAYA: I didnt know he dealt until i met Josh and after that i was only with him to keep josh and i safe but.....

HONEY 🍯: THERE'S MORE?!?!

MAYA: He kinda tried to drug me which led to me busting him. He got bail. Ofc. And he threatened me on the phone yesterday. I had a bit of a panic attack and josh comforted me.....

HONEY 🍯: How did he comfort you 😜

MAYA: By giving me the world's greatest kiss. I swear riles im not a sappy romcom kinda girl but fireworks went off in my head

HONEY 🍯: 😂😂😂😂 soooo what happens now?

MAYA: Nothing if i wanna pass social studies. If anyone from the station finds out the sargaent is gonna tell the school and ill get an automatic f

HONEY 🍯: Yikes. Im sorry peaches

MAYA: Its not your fault. My life is destined to be complicated

Suddenly the bell rings and I sigh before gathering up all my stuff and meeting up with Riley at the front of the classroom. "It's gonna be okay peaches" she states positively as she throws her arm across my shoulders.